Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unknown website is in my files

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Anonymousie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Unknown website is in my files Reply with quote

I have discovered a folder with files (looks like a hundred of them) in my computer. The file names are technical, but I did find a website name - the Garden Centre of Seattle. I am situated in London UK, I know for a fact I never saved this web page to my computer.

How did it get there and how do I get rid of all those files?

I can't just individually delete them, there are just too many.
Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help if you told us the name and location of the folder you are referring to.

It could be a cookie, placed by an advert for this site, but shown on a different site. Without knowing more details about these files and their locations it is very difficult to know what they are.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Anonymousie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vti_encoding:SR|utf8-nl vti_timelastmodified:TR|11 Nov 2004 11:18:28 -0000 vti_syncwith_localhost\\c\:\\documents and settings\\me\\my documents\\my web sites\\backup/c\:/documents and settings/me/my documents/my web sites/backup:TW|11 Nov 2004 11:18:28 -0000 vti_title:SR|Home Page vti_syncwith_localhost\\c\:\\documents and settings\\me\\desktop\\backup website\\backup website/c\:/documents and settings/me/desktop/backup website/backup website:TW|11 Nov 2004 11:18:28 -0000 vti_author:SR|NANS\\Me vti_modifiedby:SR|NANS\\Me vti_nexttolasttimemodified:TR|11 Nov 2004 11:18:28 -0000 vti_timecreated:TR|19 Dec 2004 19:08:35 -0000 vti_extenderversion:SR|6.0.2.5516 vti_syncwith_localhost\\c\:\\documents and settings\\me\\desktop\\backup website\\frontpage 2003 sbs\\understanding\\gardenco/c\:/documents and settings/me/desktop/backup website/frontpage 2003 sbs/understanding/gardenco:TR|11 Nov 2004 11:18:28 -0000 vti_shadowfiles:VX| vti_backlinkinfo:VX| vti_cacheddtm:TX|19 Dec 2004 19:08:35 -0000 vti_filesize:IR|1490 vti_cachedtitle:SR|Home Page vti_cachedbodystyle:SR| vti_cachedlinkinfo:VX|-S|_borders/Mirror\\ Anijation.gif vti_cachedsvcrellinks:VX| vti_cachedneedsrewrite:BR|true vti_cachedhasbots:BR|true vti_cachedhastheme:BR|true vti_cachedhasborder:BR|true vti_botnavbits:SW|HT vti_botnavbarthemes:VR|modified-nature-theme vti_botnavbarfeatures:VR|t vti_themeaggregate:SR|default vti_borderaggregate:SR|default vti_metatags:VR|HTTP-EQUIV=Content-Type text/html;\\ charset=windows-1252 GENERATOR Microsoft\\ FrontPage\\ 6.0 ProgId FrontPage.Editor.Document vti_charset:SR|windows-1252 vti_progid:SR|FrontPage.Editor.Document vti_generator:SR|Microsoft FrontPage 6.0

The above is from the first file - there are about 1000 files listed in folder, created between 2001 and 2003. I've only had this machine since July, so I must have saved this file when I switched over my files from the previous one. Though how I pick up such a large file is puzzling. It looks as if it is the whole garden website.

I am not terribly technical so please be gentle with me Smile
Thanks Nancy
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

presumably this is text from within the file?

Please can you give us what Softstag asked for:
the LOCATIONS of the files, and the names of the files
What is the name of the folder you've found them in?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: