Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unmountable boot volume plus other errors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
02vernonj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: unmountable boot volume plus other errors Reply with quote

hi , the computer im using is supposed to be windows xp . it worked one night then next day came up with the safe mode options , none of them work and when i try to run windows normally or the last version that worked correctly it just restarts the computer . i have the windows xp disk and have tried re-adding windows xp then it comes up with the blue screen and unmountable boot volume and also says setup.ddys is missing . if i try to use the recovery console either boot cfg/rebuild says it cant scan, chkdsk says unrepairble problems and it says i only have a g: . any help would be great thanks!!
02vernonj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys the file that is says is missing is setupdd.sys
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like there may be problems with the hard drive. Do you have any data on it? If not, I would suggest that a clean install of Windows is done, and when going through the installation, delete the current partition, create a new one and do a full format.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
02vernonj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i have tried that and when i get to the point where you can create or delete partitions it says that there are 4 drives and 4 unknown disks within the drives and if i try to make a new partition or delete any of the partitions it comes up with the blue screen unmountable boot volume error
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you probably need to delete the logical drives and all partitions on the disk.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
02vernonj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i tried to delete the partitions and it came up with the blue error screen volume boot error again
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can get hold of a Windows 98 boot disk or similar, and use FDISK to delete all the partitions, then try installing XP.
02vernonj

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i managed to get hold of an fdisk copy i loaded it up and deleted both partitions with a thorough delete and then created a new partition. i then loaded up the recovery console again and it still would not allow me to create a new version of windows.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use FDisk to delete all the partitions - don't create a new one. Once done, boot the computer from the Windows CD and install Windows - it will create the partition during the installation. If this still doesn't work, then I would say that the hard drive is faulty.
02vernonj

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i did as you said and everything was ok until i started to install windows again , the unmountable boot volume error has gone but there was a stop 000000x8e error any ideas??
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the hard drive faulty.
02vernonj

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would formatting the hard drive help??
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: