Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade but downsize

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sl23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Upgrade but downsize Reply with quote

Hello...

I wondered if you could help me with an upgrade, if that's the right word. I'm not enhancing my existing laptop but buying a new one so it's sort of an upgrade.

I currently have an Acer Aspire 5920:
Intel core 2 duo T5555
3GB Ram
250GB HDD

This is the laptop I've been looking at:
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_U500-1E5_Core_i5_Laptop_PSU9CE-006004EN/version.asp

If this machine isn't sufficient could you recommend anything? I've asked at laptops direct but still no reply after 2 months. I'm after something that will primarily run 'Muzys' and 'Mu-Lab' for music production, though I'm very much a novice and only dabble in music so this may or may not give cause for more or less power dependant on use. That I'm unsure of.

I have two questions:

1. is the upgrade worth it? ie is there a sufficient leap in performance to warrant the expense.

2. will my existing programs run ok on a 64 bit machine? I have around 250 portable apps and though some have 64 bit equivalents, some dont or are old programs no longer developed. I imagine the answer is obvious - suck it and see!!!

Thank you for your help

Scott
sijie123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, quite a fair bit of your programs might not be able to work on a Windows 7 64 bit edition. I suggest you take the downgrade to XP professional for better program working. Also, I do think that it is totally worth it to upgrade your computer based on the processor and RAM. As for the hard disk, if you do not think that there is sufficient space, you can always buy an external HDD.
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a huge difference in clock speed between these two processors. The i5 has more on chip cache and faster FSB so you will see a difference but I wouldn't have thought the increase in performance justifies the extra 750.

btw - I've seen i5 laptops for only 500!!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, not really worth it, unless you have money to burn.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
sl23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for the advice...

If anyone could recommend anything that would be helpful. I really want to downsize to around 12"/13" screen size. Also would like windows 7 and HDMI output.

Thanks again

Scott
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: