Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading a laptop with W2000 to XP

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
boogiebusby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Upgrading a laptop with W2000 to XP Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first posting, so here goes...
I have a tecra 8200 laptop with floppy drive and W2000 installed. I have recently bought an external CD drive so that I can upload to XP. I have an upgrade cd for XP home, but when I run the process, it says that you can't upgrade from 2000 to XP.

Not really sure how to proceed
a) I have tried a new installation but it says that the CD key is invalid, even tough it isn't - it is a proper upgrade key
Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows XP Home Upgrade is not for Windows 2000; it will only upgrade Windows 95, 98 or Me. In order to upgrade you will need Windows XP Profession Upgrade.

One work around, if you have an install disk for Windows 95, 98 or Me is to do a clean install from the XP upgrade disk. It will ask for the original operating system, at that point insert your old Windows disk and it should find it and allow the install.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
boogiebusby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Upgrading a laptop with W2000 to XP Reply with quote

Thanks Softstag.

This is me being dim, I know, but when you say a clean install, what do you mean by that? I do have an ME boot up disk.
Do you mean, boot up from an ME disk, or boot from the XP CD and then when asked insert the ME boot up disk, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean boot from the XP disk and install a new copy of Windows XP (not an upgrade). When prompted, you will need to insert the Windows Me Installation CD - not the boot floppy disk.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the problem is entering the key, you need to make sure you are not confusing the following:
Number 0 with Letter O
Number 1 with Letter I or L
Number 5 with Letter S
Number 8 with Letter B

Hope this helps!
Mr. Green
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: