Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB 2.0 (Or lack of) Problem.

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
CalmlyFrustrated

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: USB 2.0 (Or lack of) Problem. Reply with quote

I checked the search function but did not find anything that would cover this.

Anyway, Here's the story: Today I bought a game controller for my PC. My PC is quite oldish (When I first powered it up, the default date was 2003) and after installing the game controller software and plugging it in, I got this lil message:

(By this point I've followed all directions. Uninstalled/reinstalled the software and Rebooted my PC before and after doing so just in case.) So then I thought, perhaps my USB ports are 1.1's as the Game Controller requires 2.0's so I checked my device manager:

Now this is where my knowledge of computers starts to thin. The unkown device listed is the currently plugged in game controller. It shows up above where it says "USB 2.0 Root Hub" which with a vague assumption means it's not plugged into a 2.0 socket or it'd appear below perhaps? I'm wondering if what the above image shows is that my computer has 2.0 capability or if infact the only two USB sockets on my comp are 2.0's and that there is some other problem preventing my comp recognising the game controller. If it is the former then I need only take a stroll down to my local PC store and get my hands on the required hardware right?

All the technical info on my comp is here if it helps: http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/fur0re/info/CompSpecs.jpg

And thanks in advance for any pointers/help etc. Smile
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the ports should be USB2 capable
However theres a few of issues
1) Its an SiS chipset and they don't work so well. Very choosy over what they will recognise. Also multiple USB devices can clash with each other on these chipsets

2) have you actually installed the correct drivers for the new game controller? There will almost certainly be a disk with the device. Run this BEFORE plug in the device in

3) are you plugging it into the front of the machine? While in theory all the ports should be USB2, in fact a number of early USB front panels only had USB1.1 cables (Inwin were the main culprit) so USB2 devices would not work properly on those front sockets

So how to try and fix it?
1) Uxe USBDeview to clear out all current USB entreis from device manager - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
2) download and run this patch for the SIS USB controllers http://www.usbman.com/WebDrivers/sis-usbdetect.exe
3) install the correct drivers for that game controller
4) plug it iin the BACK of the machine - not the front and see what happens
CalmlyFrustrated

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Done
2) Done - And Rebooted comp.
3) Reinstalled the controller drivers.
4) There's only two USB sockets and they are in the back.

Can put it down to the chipset perhaps? Is that something that can be replaced reasonably easy?
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalmlyFrustrated wrote:
1)

Can put it down to the chipset perhaps? Is that something that can be replaced reasonably easy?

can't replace it, but if you have a spare PCI slot you can add extra ports through an expansion card. The best ones use chipsets from NEC. They tend to work OK.
SiS and VIA USB chipsets are both problems

However before you go down that route, try that game device on another machine - it could just be faulty
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: