Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

usb drive crashing windows

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sleaze

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: usb drive crashing windows Reply with quote

I recently bought some Lacie brick usb drives. I already have some of their porsches. They use a similar driver set. But their are conflicts and each installs a different icon on the sys tray.

It attached ok and files transfered to it ok. Then I tried formating and things went wrong. w98SE froze mid format. I uninstalled the drivers and only loadeded from the bricks cd. Problem gone.

I then re-installed from the porsches driver. They now stubbornly refuse to attach to the pc. I tried to force one of them using add hardware and then update driver in device manager. It didn't work, but something went wrong. When I turn it on the BSOD appears and I have to re-boot.

Fatal exception 0E @OO28:FF086280 VXD OUSB2HUB(01)+00004820

I uninstalled/reinstalled, deleted registry keys and drivers in device manager.

Someone suggested that I try the drivers on this site. I assume in case the current ones had been corrupted. I did. It still crashes. Now the brick is being finiky. w98 freezes during transfers.

What else can I try? I'm just going in circles and making things worse.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do all the drives work ok on an XP or Vista machine?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
sleaze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Do all the drives work ok on an XP or Vista machine?

I only have a 98 machine. All worked ok initially. Things went down hill when I tried to solve the formating problem.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest just using the generic drivers - don't have the Lacie ones installed at all. Try removing and recreating the partitions (Fdisk), then formatting the drives that are not working correctly.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
sleaze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
I would suggest just using the generic drivers - don't have the Lacie ones installed at all. Try removing and recreating the partitions (Fdisk), then formatting the drives that are not working correctly.

If I do that the drives just sit there like stunned mullets and wont attach.

Before I try attaching again I'm trying to make the crashing go away.
13bette

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a Problem Like this Confused

http://forum.technical-assistance.co.uk/windows-98-usb-driver-problem-vt632.html
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: