Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB drive not seen

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: USB drive not seen Reply with quote

Hi I have a USB 'byteStor 256MB USB 2.0 Flash Drive' and am having some problems with it. Anyone who has a bytestor knows that when you plug it in two drives are visible in my computer (btw this is on xp), the USB Mass Storage Device, which is the main 256MB body of the drive, where you store your files. And also "floppy drive" obviously it's not a physical floppy drive, but a virtual one on the bytestor. Thats where the password progrma is kept, so in that you don't ever accidently dlete it. Well, up untill now my drive has worked fine, but now i'm having some trouble. When I plug it in, only the "floppy drive" is becoming visible in My Computer. I can't find the 256MB of space anywhere. Even in device manager it's not there, only the USB Drive that's the floppy. Anyone help?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to see if there is a switch on the side of the flash drive. If so, make sure it is set to the open padlock position.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Qit el-Remel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Something similar: Reply with quote

I've got a 256mb SanDisk Cruzer Mini. The driver runs it just fine on one Win98 computer on which I've tried it...but not on my father's machine.

Just for the record, my dad's computer is a HP Pavilion with 96mb SDRAM and a 466MHz Celeron. It's about seven years old. The computer on which I can use the flash drive isn't any newer or more impressive.

-Qit
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Something similar: Reply with quote

Qit el-Remel wrote:
I've got a 256mb SanDisk Cruzer Mini. The driver runs it just fine on one Win98 computer on which I've tried it...but not on my father's machine.

Just for the record, my dad's computer is a HP Pavilion with 96mb SDRAM and a 466MHz Celeron. It's about seven years old. The computer on which I can use the flash drive isn't any newer or more impressive.

-Qit

Qit - For new queries, please post a New Topic.

It sounds like there may be a problem with the drivers not being installed correctly. Try the following:

1) Boot up the computer in Safe Mode (keep pressing F8 during boot until you get a menu, select Safe Mode)
2) Open Device Manager (Right click My Computer (on desktop), click Properties, then click on the Device Manager tab at the top.
3) There should be an entry showing as "Unknown Device" or "Other Device". These need to be removed by highlighting and clicking Remove. OK any warnings that come up. Once removed close the Device Manager window.
4) Restart the computer and allow to go in to Windows normally
5) Install the Windows 98 drivers for the SanDisk Cruzer Mini
6) Plug in the SanDisk Cruzer Mini and check that it detects and works

Let us know if this works.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: