Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Usb drive on windows 98se

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Chris.ardmel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Usb drive on windows 98se Reply with quote

Hello,

We are running a system on windows 98 second edition and require the usb drive to work in order to backup important files. I've downloaded and installed the generic driver found on this website, and performed all the necessary steps in order to get it working. However, when I insert a Usb storage stick windows wants to format it. This is were the problem starts. Windows detects the drive easy enough and the "Remove device" icon is present when inserted, but when we try to format the drive it tells me I don't have enough memory (It has 32mb of ram) According to a collegue, usb has been used to back the system up before!. It's also good to note that when examining the drive, it shows that it has 0 kb capacity, all of them have been tried and tested on different systems. I've tried several different sticks and a portable hard drive, all which display the same results.

The floppy drive also returns this error when trying to format. We really need to get the data off of the disk and backed up, avoiding if possible, removing the hard drive it's self.

All help is appreciated,
Chris.
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on what version of windows were the drives previously used - and formatted?
to what file system are they formated? FAT/FAT32/NTFS or?
how big are these USB drives?

finaly how are you trying to format these - from windows or DOS? And does FDISK work on them? In DOS you need to create a partiton before it can be formatted
Chris.ardmel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
on what version of windows were the drives previously used - and formatted?
to what file system are they formated? FAT/FAT32/NTFS or?
how big are these USB drives?

finaly how are you trying to format these - from windows or DOS? And does FDISK work on them? In DOS you need to create a partiton before it can be formatted

They were used and formatted on the current one (Windows 98se), probably 6months ago. The drives are formatted on the FAT file system, drives are ranged between 30mb to 1gb. I'm using windows to format the drives, all via My computer. Fdisk works on all of them except the 30mb one.

Thanks for the fast response.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused. You say they were formatted on this system? Does that mean it worked previously, stopped working, then you installed the Generic drivers and it still doesn't work? Or did you install the Generic drivers before to get it working and it stopped working all of a sudden? Can you clarify this?

Also, how are you trying to format the drive? Via a DOS prompt or within Windows itself?

Can you confirm if the drive appears in My Computer?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Chris.ardmel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
I'm a bit confused. You say they were formatted on this system? Does that mean it worked previously, stopped working, then you installed the Generic drivers and it still doesn't work? Or did you install the Generic drivers before to get it working and it stopped working all of a sudden? Can you clarify this?

Also, how are you trying to format the drive? Via a DOS prompt or within Windows itself?

Can you confirm if the drive appears in My Computer?

Another member of staff used and backed up the system frequently on the same operating system. They stated that the usb drive just stopped working, along with the floppy drive. This was before I installed the generic drivers.

I tried formatting in windows, I haven't tried doing it through DOS. I'm trying to do this without preventing any damage to the system, it's a very old machine that deals with software for CNC machines - which isn't compatible with the more recent operating systems.

Thanks for the reply.
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be inclined to be thinking on the lines of motherboard failure here, with a problem on the southbridge....
Given the history I'd wipe and reload it and see what happens, as it may just be a driver problem - or even viral. If it still fails after that, I'd abandon the machine
Now thats going to give you problems, but you're going to have to face them sooner or later. You need to look at alternatives
Will this software run in a Win98 virtual machine? Could be the way to go forward
What is the software called - could be worth checking out the manufacturers site

the simple fact is - its was working. The issue isn't over whether those Win98 USB drivers work. Something else is happening here, and my best guess is a hardware problem
Chris.ardmel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
I'd be inclined to be thinking on the lines of motherboard failure here, with a problem on the southbridge....
Given the history I'd wipe and reload it and see what happens. If it still fails, I'd abandon the machine
Now thats going to give you problems, but you're going to have to face them sooner or later. You need to look at alternatives
Will this software run in a Win98 virtual machine? Could be the way to go forward
What is the software called - could be worth checking out the manufacturers site

After looking around I've noticed the software is compatible with newer operating systems, contrary to what I was told.

I guess the only way I can backup the system now is by switching the hard drive to a similar system.

There is also an issue with the sound card not being detected, could this be caused by the issue on the southbridge like you suggested?

Thanks for all your replies!
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly
check in the Windows "device manager" - any items showing errors?

Any idea what the motherboard chipset is? Of if you don't know that, then whats the make / model of the motherboard
Chris.ardmel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonS wrote:
possibly
check in the Windows "device manager" - any items showing errors?

Any idea what the motherboard chipset is? Of if you don't know that, then whats the make / model of the motherboard

It's an intel pentium 3.

In the device manager a PCI multi media device is displaying an error, as far as I'm aware this was all working before.
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the sound chip - driver is either not loading or not installed. Possibly due to a motherboard fault
OR - is there any chance that someone has tried a repair installation of windows n this machine - i.e. overwritten the windows installation with a new copy, adn then nt loaded any drivers?

You say its a P3 - what was after was who made the motherboard chipset i.e VIA, Intel SiS, ..
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: