Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB driver - Windows 98 SE - hard disk

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Polykleitos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: USB driver - Windows 98 SE - hard disk Reply with quote

My old computer :
CPU : Intel 82443LX/EX Pentium(r) II Prozessor/AGP Controller (labeled outside as Intel Celeron Processor)
RAM : 64 MB

I downloaded one of the “Windows 98 SE Generic USB Mass Storage Device Drivers” (Version 3.3 German, nusb33d.exe) to my new Windows XP computer and recorded it on my old computer by floppy disk.

I bought a Buffalo “DriveStation HD-HXU3” external hard disk, because I was told by someone of the supporting team that it would accept my data from a Windows 98 computer, provided the above mentioned generic driver would have been installed.
Buffalo does not provide any driver for this hard disk. It is specified only for Windows XP and higher.

I removed all USB drivers as required, which means they are now in the recycle bin.
As a result, the USB root hub has completely disappeared.
The USB controller is left in the Device Manager, with drivers disabled.

The driver’s file is not recognized as a driver, although there must be a notice somewhere that it is self-installing.
A double-click on the file initiates an installation which takes a few seconds, but no driver again.

The external hard disk is not even recognized as a device or disk storage or drive.
After a new start and some more trying nothing changed. Even a “USB disk” device which I found provided by Windows is no help.

I think there is nothing we can do about it.

Last edited by Polykleitos on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you double click on the nusb33d.exe file, it should start an installation process. If this isn't happening, try downloading the file again as it could be the file has become corrupt.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if you get the drivers working you are going to have problems

Max allowable partition size in Win98SE is 128GB
That drive is either 1 or 2 terabytes. You'd have to split it into a series of nine or ten partitions
Polykleitos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if partitioning helps, because the number of 128 GB applies to the whole physical drive, not to a logical drive, even in external hard disks ( http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(Informatik) ).

The same Wikipedia article suggests this patch as an answer to that problem : http://www.msfn.org/board/enable48bitlba-break-137gb-barrier-t78592.html
To be honest, I am at a loss reading the puzzling 441 answers to that topic in the MSFN Forum.
It seems that the patch works with German Windows 98 SE ( http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(Informatik) ).

Besides it seems that the 128 GB do not matter if it comes to smaller computer files, this means it will not matter to me ( http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(Informatik) ).

I am a noob as you must have realized. I have been struggling for weeks to make out.
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That patch you found is just experimental and you've no guarantees of reliability

regarding the USB drivers, surely you've made a mistake by deleting the existing drivers? What you're trying to do is ADD USB storage device drivers, not replace the existing USB drivers?

Before doing anything else I believe you need to reinstall the correct USB drivers for the chipset, and THEN reinstall the mass storage drivers, followed by that 48-bit LBA patch you found. However that patch presupposes you can enable 48-bit addressing in the BIOS - which is by no means certain in an older motherboard

Last edited by JonS on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nusb3d drivers contain USB controller drivers for most popular chipsets, so you shouldn't need to reinstall, you shouldn't have them disabled though or it won't work!

Incidentally, others have reported getting large hard drives working in Windows 98 without the patches mentioned above. First thing you need to do is get the drivers installed and ensure that the disk is detecting in Device Manager.
Polykleitos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The supporting man at Buffalo insists that I am the first not to get the hard disk to run with the drivers written by Maximus Decim.

I am brought up short by your comments from July 24 and 25. Apparently I made a mistake by removing all USB drivers. The instructions for use tell to remove just all drivers for USB flash drives and all drivers for any USB 2.0 controllers, NOTHING ELSE ( http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98se-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php ).

What’s more, there was one driver for USB flash drive left indeed, which I had missed to remove. This driver was meant for a USB flash drive to go with Windows 98, but did not work and the support did not bother to help me.

First thing to do now is to re-establish the original USB drivers for the chipset.

I hope you will excuse my foolish mistakes.

Last edited by Polykleitos on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is remove all the things in the USB section of Device Manager, and also any Other Devices, and and USB Disks. Then install the nusb drivers. Then reboot, and try plugging in the drive, it should show as a USB Disk in Device Manager if not in My Computer.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a PM:
Polykleitos wrote:
What is being left, if I remove all the things in the USB section, i.e. what of the USB section will be left at all?

You might have wondered why I had not removed the obsolete USB flash drive driver. It was just not in the USB section.

I hope it is not too irksome to explain. Thank you.

I think it's best to share the response as others may find this useful.

By removing the entries in the USB section, you are not actually uninstalling anything as such, you are disassociating the hardware with particular drivers. Getting Device Manager to refresh, or rebooting, will get Windows to find hardware with no associated drivers and tries to assign appropriate drivers. So what will happen is, you will dissociate the drivers from the hardware and get Windows to assign the best available ones. As you have the nusb drivers installed, they will take precedence and the hardware should work.

The USB Drive does need to be removed, as the driver assigned is most likely a default Windows one that will not work, the nusb drivers will take it's place and allow the drive to work.

I hope this helps explain what goes on.
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they way I read his "deletion" post was that the actual driver files had been deleted and were sitting in the recycle bin - hence my comments
If in fact all that was removed were the device manager entries, then thats something completely diferent - and Sofstag's comments are correct

the key to trying to make out whats going on could be still withing the Device Manager - what entries are there for USB devices, and are there any "unknown" devices or "devices in error"?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: