Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB ?? Drivers ???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
ongesmate

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: USB ?? Drivers ??? Reply with quote

Recently tried 3 different programs that required USB connection , mobile phone, blue tooth and a 3 g dongle, none work, methinks it may have something to do with the USB ports such as drivers, I have done device manager update drivers with no joy, am reluctant to use Driver Detective etc I have windows XP home version 2002 serv/pk 3.

Any advice please and also any recommendations on driver on similar software as driver detective.

Thanks in anticipation of many positive and speedy responses.
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ongesmate

The mobile phone, blue tooth and a 3 g dongle all should have accompanying software that will include drivers, also check that your updates are on, most mobile phones have a PC studio if you don't have the software you may be able to download it from the phone makers site and you may be able to use blue tooth if the phone supports it (there will be a patching code that has to be entered to the phone and the software (if you don't have this a phone forum will be a big help). The 3g dongle is mobile Internet so WiFi needs to be enabled and to the modem/router also do follow security procedure. One last thing plug in something that you know works in to the USB ports you are using just to make sure there working.
ongesmate

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, did do the software and it down loaded but when I came to connect it stated error on download, used the software with the application and also downloaded it from the makers web site. My printer still works as does my memory stick with the USB ports. Methinks that somehow some info on any new software is not being read 100% and as such data is missing which stops it from running whereas my printer and memory stick data is historical and as such works. This is only guesswork as I am not IT literate but use my laptop often.
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK with one of your problem devices plugged in to USB can you go into Device Manager and open Universal Serial Bus controllers and see if you have any (?) this would show a problem, i would uninstall the programs and if you use a reg cleaner run that then reinstall the software (one at a time with reboot) in safe mode - tapping F8 at startup, (if its downloaded software) save to desktop and install from there as some security applications can inhibit installation, please post back on your progress hon
ongesmate

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that, with the new devices it shows as a question mark and asks me to insert disc which then shows problem with installation, when I put in data traveler memory stick there is no problem. Have taken off the new software and reloaded again many times, no joy. Can there be something that prevents my device installer from reading the new software driver data?. Have taken off firewall etc but it still wouldn't work ???
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry ongesmate i should have said yellow question mark, if it is yellow this means no drivers have been installed (one of two things something is blocking the install or the drivers/software is corrupt) can you try new software in safe mode ? and is this the latest software for the device ?, one more thing is it possible to try the device on another PC ?
ongesmate

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cat-tranz, Yes already tried it on my friends laptop, works ok. When I did the PC Studio softare download for my mobile I watched what it installed and drivers were included which did not indicate a problem, however you also got the option to down load the driver as stand alone which I also did, seemed to install ok and it is only when I connect my phone it states ''problem installing application'' It is the yellow question mark that appears. How would I download in safe mode ?? please excuse my lack of IT knowledge.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ongesmate wrote:
How would I download in safe mode ??

Arrow How to get in to Safe Mode
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SoftStag Very Happy

So when your in safe mode use the arrow keys on your keyboard to go to safe mode with networking and download to your desktop the software, this should now download without any interference from any of your other programs once you have downloaded install in safe mode. The install should go clean and well ongesmate.
ongesmate

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Did the safe mode but alas, problem with downloading the software message, so frustrating this IT stuff lol
Cat-tranz

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking can you download this software from another PC (say a friends) maybe to a Flash Drive or burn to Disk then install to your PC ?
ongesmate

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat-tranz, Thanks for taking the time on this. Already did a download of this software to another PC, if I then burnt to Disk what difference would that make to me using the disc on my own? Already tried it with a Flash Drive same problem Am not giving up on this I need to find out for my own sanity what the problem is. Laughing
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: