Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB drivers for W98

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
markandyvonne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: USB drivers for W98 Reply with quote

I have a RM VM6000 laptop running on W98. I've loaded the service pack to make it W98SP, but not full SE. I have an Advent 512 flash drive which came with a driver and works, but I need more. None of the current flash drives go back past W98SE and I can't locate any old ones. The generic driver for W98FE won't load. It tells me that it cannot create some files and shuts down.
I need suggestions as to how I can load the generic driver or where can I get old flash drives or can I install W98SE? I already know that I can't install W2000.
Any help would be marvelous.
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Steve or Softstag will answer this - but both have been absent from the forum for a while now, so I'm not sure if they will.

As a general comment you'd be better off putting Win98SE on it. Better overall driver compatibility, better memory handling, better USB compliance, especially for USB2. You can use the same product key without any problems.
A quick search didn't find any data on that laptop, but your problem could be due to a number of issues. First Win98 had TWO USB patches. You can find them both on this link http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm
Next, that so-called Service Pack was an unofficial hotch-potch of files which seems to be incomplete. MS didn't release a Win98 service pack. You're better off using Windows update to get all the security patches (it WILL work if you manually install IE6 first)
Next, what chipset is in that machine? Via/SiS/Intel/AMD or? Make sure you have the relevant drivers installed. Does it need USB2 drivers? (these won't work in Win98 but will in 98SE)
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just been doing some digging about that machine - turns out its really a rebranded Samsung model - see http://www.samsungpc.com/products/vm6000/vm6000.htm

Nosing around the various download pages, it looks like that machine should be OK with Win2000. The graphics are standard ATi (either Rage II or Rage Pro - not sure which) the sound is ESS ES Maestro. Win 2K should have drivers for both preinstalled. You just may need to disable DOS soundblaster emulation in the BIOS - otherwise it will probably BSOD at boot. Everything else looks straightforward, especially as the chipset is an Intel 430 or 440 series. Samsung also appear to have sold some with Win2k installed. So unless yours has an ancient BIOS that won't take Win2K, I think its worth a try.
markandyvonne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: RM VM6000 Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply JonS.
The service pack was an unofficial one, recommended before loading the generic driver. A friend who is helping me with this has a copy of W2000 but was unable to find drivers to suit the laptop, so was reluctant to try it in case we ended up with no screen, disc drives etc. He doesn't have a copy of W98Se so we couldn't try that.
The chipset is Intell Pentium II but I can't find the number.
I'll report on how things turn out
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the drivers should not be an issue in Win2k
It must be an Intel 440 chipset, so no need to worry about that- Win2K will install OK without extra drivers. Same for the Graphics and Audio - Win2K has the ATi and ES1898 sound. It should load the mousepad OK as well.
Modem appears to be a Lucent WinModem - that should install OK as well
Only thing that may give an issue is whats described as the "Swapbay utility"- and thats on the link I gave earlier

Get your friend to look at that Samsung link - it should become much clearer
markandyvonne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've loaded W2K which went on with only one small glitch, it loaded alongside W98 as, due to language differences, W2K was unable to overwrite W98. I now have to select which system to use but the annoyance was reduced by making W2K default and setting the waiting time to 1 second. Other problems were only 1.16GB left on the HD and a non-working mousepad, but on starting the machine this morning, it loaded itself and now works fine.

Another friend has a formating disc which he uses to wipe harddrives when changing OS. We thought that now we know that W2K works, we could use this, wipe the drive and, at the same time, remove the old office suite and several part programs that have been left by a previous attempt at removal, then reload afresh and maybe gain another 500MB of free space. Unfortunately, we can't convince it to boot from the cd drive. It may also be because the disc is a copy. I tried recopying it using the format suitable for most computers as this was an issue earlier, but it still won't play ball.

If there's an easy fix for this, I would like to here of it, otherwise I'm inclined to leave it alone as this is the best it's ever been, faster, stronger, able to leap . . . oops, that's given my age away

Mark
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll probably find that your Win2k disk is simply a copy of the files on the setup disk, not an image copy of the setup disk. That would miss the boot sector on the CD - which is hidden and won't copy unless you specifically use a CD imaging tool
Only way to clean wipe it with that disk would be to boot with another bootable CD or floppy (e.g. a Windows 98 setup CD), boot to a DOS command, reformat the drive using that, then change CDs without rebooting and run setup from the Win2K CD. Messy, and you'd be stuck with FAT rather than NTFS but it is possible (I've done on machines where the BIOS wont allow booting from a CD)
If you just want to get a bit of space, edit the boot.ini file manually (its in the root of c:\) to delete the Win98 boot option, and then simply delete the windows 98 folder. Normally win98 will be in c:\windows, while Win2k will be in c:\winnt
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: