Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB fault

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
jc7885

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: USB fault Reply with quote

Hi everyone again!!

For some reason when a USB device is connected to my computer, for example the external USB broadband modem I'm using; after a while a pop-up message says that the device is not recognised EVENTHOUGH it still works.

A more annoying problem is how I can't update tracks on my MP3 player. It just does not get recongised by the computer at all. It's only a small Sony MP3 player so it runs using Sonicstage. Thought Sonicstage might have been the problem so re-installed it yet still no luck. Checked the USB controller device manager window and it says that no drivers are installed for this device. I can't understand why it says that if I've already used it on my computer before.

Can anyone help?

cheers
Markb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The best that I can suggest, is that we remove all the USB controller devices from the system and let Windows re-install them. Firstly we need to see all the connected and not connected devices.

1. Click Start
    2. Click Run
    3. Type cmd.exe in the textbox and click OK
    4. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and hit ENTER
    5. Type cd\windows\system32 and hit ENTER
    6. Type start devmgmt.msc and hit ENTER
    7. When the device manager opens, click the View menu
    8. Click Show Hidden Devices

Typically hidden devices will be gray. Uninstall the device that you believe is causing the problem. As soon as you close the cmd box, the hidden devices will be hidden in the device manager again.

Now expand the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" section as in the picture below.

Right click on each item in this section and Uninstall them.

Now reboot and Windows will reinstall the USB controllers.

Let me know if this works.
Pink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re-installation must work. If you have several USB devices attached simultaneously, this maybe the problem for system also.
jc7885

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers. I'll give it a go and let you know.
jc7885

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Tried Markb's advice but it didn't work. The MP3 player shows as a 'unknown device'. It's only a small player, like a larger USB memory stick.

I tried manually installing it; didn't come with an installation disk just loaded upon attaching to computer. I installed it as a Sony memory stick controller but i'm given the msg of "this device cannot start (code 10)" is that understood by anyone??

Appreciate any other recommendations
Markb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of more things to try. Does it work in another machine? Also try other USB ports. If you are using ones on the front of the PC, try one at the rear. Often ones at the front are not fully powered.
jc7885

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 4 usb ports on my laptop and it doesn't work in any of them. Other devices seem to work fine (e.g. USB modem, printer, etc...) yet my mp3 player doesn't.

Device manager says that no driver are installed for it. what would this usually mean then & cause it to happen??
Markb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if the drivers for it may be corrupt. I am off next week so unless you manage to reply to this before 5pm with your model of MP3 player, the best I can do is point you here, to Sony's support site select your Flash MP3 model and download the driver for it. Depending on what format the download is, it will either be an .exe file you can run which will install the driver or a .zip file with the driver files. Personally I would prefer the latter, as you can then extract the files and install the driver through the Device manager.

Good luck.
jc7885

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Markb,

it's a Sony NWE003FBC 1GB Flash MP3 player. I've just used your link and I selected the closest resembling model number, NWE003F and I've tried the firmware download. This hasn't worked as the computer still recognises that the device is not connected.

Wierd thing is, when it does work properly, the flash drive displays "USB Connect" and usually you can then access content on the drive using the appropriate media package - Sonicstage in this case. I've also updated Sonicstage to the latest version so I know that isn't the problem. Right now, IT DOES display the connect msg yet it's still not recognised?!

I've also gone through the control panel, selecting add new hardware. It's down as unknown usb device, which when I work through the windows, it says the device IS working properly.... WHICH even adds more to the confusion.....

HELP!!
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: