Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Flash card on Win98 SE

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Sailbad59

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: USB Flash card on Win98 SE Reply with quote

I had a problem when I plugged in my 64M USB Flash Drive card into the USB port of my Windows 98SE, AMD K6 III. After I plugged in the card I got the usual ?new hardware detected? routine. Afterwards, my Device Manager window shows a new heading called ?Storage device? with a ?USB Disk? device under it, a new ?USB Mass Storage Device? under the ?Universal Serial Bus Controllers? heading, and a new drive in my ?Disk Drives? heading but the drive has no letter assigned to it and there is no access provided for it in Explorer. Within the Properties >> Settings tab of the new drive I have specified a range of reserved drive letters but the device is never assigned a letter. I have already installed my VIA USB 2.0 Version 2.42L driver for Win Me/98 with no problems. What do I have to do to access the new drive now that it is installed?

Thank you.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you able to use this drive in another computer? It could be that the drive needs to be formatted before it can be used, this may be the case if it is a new drive.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Sailbad59

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Are you able to use this drive in another computer? It could be that the drive needs to be formatted before it can be used, this may be the case if it is a new drive.

Thank you for responding. Yes, I tried it on my Windows XP at work and it performed perfectly.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What drive letters do you already have in use on the PC?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Sailbad59

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, A, of course as my floppy. C through Q as logical partitions of an IDE hard drive. X as an IDE R/W CDROM and Y as a SCSI CDROM.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of drive letters!

In the drive properties for the flash drive, what happens when you set the range of drive letters from S to S? This should force it to be the S drive.

It sounds like the drivers are installed correctly as the drive is showing correctly in device manager.
Sailbad59

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: USB Flash Drive, no drive letter to access Reply with quote

I think I fixed it. I did put in drive letter ranges for the new device under the settings tab within the newly created Disk Drive but that had no effect. What ended up solving the problem was deleting all of the USB devices under Universal Serial Bus controlers and letting the system recreate them with a boot. The only problem remaining is that the USB removable drive is only detected when it is inserted before a cold boot.

Thanks.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got it sorted. Do you have the nusb23e drivers installed? These are the latest USB Mass Storage drivers for Win 98 SE. If not they may resolve the problem with it only working from a cold boot.
Sailbad59

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I installed that nusb23e driver but it still won't start unless I remove all USB contollers and reboot.
mafiaman1121

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: WTF Reply with quote

I cant find a USB flash driver for my usb flash drive! Does anyone know where can I find one for any flash drive????
if i somone knows where to find one for mine specifficly for jet?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF Reply with quote

mafiaman1121 wrote:
I cant find a USB flash driver for my usb flash drive! Does anyone know where can I find one for any flash drive????
if i somone knows where to find one for mine specifficly for jet?

If you are using Windows 98 SE then you should install the Windows 98SE Generic Mass Storage Device Drivers. If you are using Windows Me, 2000 or XP, then the operating system should just detect the flash drive.

PS - For new queries, please start a new topic!
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: