Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB install with no internet connection

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Nonmoniker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: USB install with no internet connection Reply with quote

I've been reading how to get the drivers needed to use a USB flash drive on Windows 98. The computer I want to put them on does not have access to the internet. I tried to save the driver to a 3.25" floppy and update them that way. With my limited knowledge, I was unable to. Is what I'm trying to do possible and if so, how do I do it?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drivers are small enough to fit on a floppy disk, so you should be able to download from one computer and put them on floppy. It may help to copy them to the Desktop on the computer they are to be installed on, then run the file.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Nonmoniker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you for the advice. I did try to do what you mentioned. When I double click on the file, it pops up with the "this program has performed an illegal operation" message. When you click on close after the message, it says the action was blocked by the system admin. because of the effects it would have on the computer. I also tried to run the new hardware wizard to get the driver installed. It is unable to find the file on either the floppy disk in the A: drive or the copies of them on the desktop.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the file may be corrupted. Try downloading it again before copying it to floppy disk.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Nonmoniker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone. Here's what I'm planning and why. I tried to save to a floppy disk because I thought there was room. The wizard for the usb drive wouldn't recognize anything. So I tried to resave the file to the desktop on the computer with internet connection. Once saved, I tried to save everything to a flopppy. Once at about 85%, it said the disc was full. It did save some files but it ultimately didn't work when I tried with what was on the disc. I ran the wizard and it did seem to work at first. However, I was not able to find the external portable drive even though the drivers seemed to work. I couldn't find anywhere that I could open the external drive. Now I plan to save everything to a CD disc and hopes I can access it to initialize it. If anyone has any ideas to help, it would be great. I'll let you know how things pan out. I have two computers where I can save all the files and try to save to CD. Does anyone know if the WIN98 file/patch is absolutely needed? With no doubt, the CD will have the room to save it while the floppy did not, I hope this works. Will keep this post updated while I can. Any ideas or advice is appreciated. Thanks again.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are using Windows 98 FE - in which case the Service Pack is recommended, however people have reported that the drivers will work without the Service Pack. The drivers without the serivce pack will fit on floppy disk, so might be worth a try.
Nonmoniker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you're right, I am using Win98 FE. The floppy disc idea worked but now I'm stuck again. I ran the new hardware wizard and pulled the files it wanted from the floppy disc. It recognized the USB mass storage device and said it was installed correctly. I restarted and went to My Computer to open the external HD. It wasn't there so now I'm confused again. I tried removing everything and starting over. It behaved the same way and told me the install was successful. However, I still cant find where to open the mass storage device from. In the past, it was in My Computer. Is this something that's correctable? Do I need to find a way to get the Service Pack before I can use this USB device? Thanks.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where you are running the Add New Hardware wizard, this does not need to be done. Once you have run the downloaded file, then the drivers are installed, it should just be a matter of plugging the USB device in, and it should be detected.

I suspect the hard drive is probably formatted with NTFS, which cannot be read in Windows 98. Have a look at this thread for more details:
External Hard Drive Recognised but not available
Nonmoniker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few frustrating attempts, I finally managed to get everything to work. Seems that my computer needed the Win98 Service Pack but after I got that burned to a CD and installed, everything worked. Thank you SoftStag for all the sound and helpful advise.
lpissarra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a fairly similar problem...
I have an old pc running W98-2ndEd that could recognise USB drivers, but only small ones (I guess it's not a question of size!...lol), as I could "see" a 64MB pen but not a 512MB or a 2GB pen. I tried looking for an update for USB drivers on W982ndEd and found "nusb33e.exe", which I downloaded from a newer computer into a small USB pen and then transfered to the oldone. Installation required prior removal of any USB driver software already, so I uninstalled it, ran "nusb33e.exe", re-booted the pc and... NOTHING! It did not work and now there's no USB driver software whatsoevere and I can't even "see" the 64MB pen with the old computer!
What's going wrong here and what can I do to fix it? I can still get stuff from the new to the old pc through CDs.
Thanks in advance,

L
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lpissarra wrote:
I'm having a fairly similar problem...
I have an old pc running W98-2ndEd that could recognise USB drivers, but only small ones (I guess it's not a question of size!...lol), as I could "see" a 64MB pen but not a 512MB or a 2GB pen. I tried looking for an update for USB drivers on W982ndEd and found "nusb33e.exe", which I downloaded from a newer computer into a small USB pen and then transfered to the oldone. Installation required prior removal of any USB driver software already, so I uninstalled it, ran "nusb33e.exe", re-booted the pc and... NOTHING! It did not work and now there's no USB driver software whatsoevere and I can't even "see" the 64MB pen with the old computer!
What's going wrong here and what can I do to fix it? I can still get stuff from the new to the old pc through CDs.
Thanks in advance,

L

Check to see if there are any problems in Device Manager with a USB drive plugged in. The drive may still be recognised with the old drivers, and need to be deleted from Device Manager and allowed to redetect.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: