Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB MSD has no drive letter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sl23

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: USB MSD has no drive letter Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just joined cos i need a bit of help bein a novice Embarassed

I have a laptop running windows 98, it's an old laptop!
I downloaded the driver update thingy for win98 and after a few problems got my MP3 working which is better than nothing.
But i'm greedy and wanted my external HDD to work on the laptop. Iknow the ext HDD works as i've been using it plenty of times on a friends pc, in fact I have around 30Gb of data on it.

Well my problem is when I connect this ext HDD to the USB all is well except I can't locate the drive in my computer.

The remove safely systray icon is there and if i click on it i'm asked if i want to remove drive (Smile

If i go to - device manager/ disk drves/ maxtor6/ properties then click the settings tab, there is a tick box labeled 'Removable'. If i tick this the drive is given a letter after the laptop has restarted. My problem now is I can't open the drive to view the files as it is apperently not formatted. As i said above the HDD has alot of files on it and i can't format it just to get it to work properly is there a way around this?

Thanks
sl23

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just add that for some reason a smilie has appeared where i put the drive letter in brackets, the drive has no letter and is simply : in brackets.
Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: NTFS Formatted Drive Reply with quote

The drive is probably formatted with NTFS, which is a file system that is not supported by Windows 98. I suspect you have tried the drive on an XP or Vista machine, which will be able to read it without problem.

For more information, check out this post:
External Hard Drive Recognised but not Available
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
sl23

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Indeed it is! But... Reply with quote

HI

you're right it was used on xp and is NTFS. i've given up on the maxtor drive and am sure the 3Gb mp3 is large enough for my needs.

Mad i'd just like to say i'm p*ss*d off! i just wrote a long descriptive message of my next problem and it didn't get delivered! Mad

oh well i'll try again...

here's the basic version!

i had the laptop running Computer Muzys v1.5 free from Computer Music Mag. i intend sampling patches from my roland MC909 selling that to buy a decent laptop and passing this on to someone for internet use only. is this machine capable of internet use?

SPEC'S
Toshiba sat pro 490xcdt (unused for 4 yrs)
96Mb RAM, 4Gb HDD, Windows 98FE (unofficial sp2 upgrade via web)

Problem: The Laptop was fine and just as i was to start the above mentioned process it went tits up!! I turned off the machine one night all was fine, turned it on the next morning and it asked for me to select a mode to boot in. though i didn't realise i had to select a mode so it auto selected safe mode as this was highlighted for some reason.

when it booted the screen was minimum size and colour. is this normal? I then found a box checked, NOT BY ME! the box was labeled 'select boot type at every log on'. i unchecked this box, tried several times to put the correct screen size/colour in the control panel/ display/ settings page but every attempt seems to be ignored. i don't know the original settings but they definitely weren't 16 colour/ lowest screen size! how do i restore the screen to its original size and colour?

I have the original win 98FE disc but it needs repair as it's scratched to buggery!! Would i be better off reinstalling windows? I'm just worried i may lose something that's installed that i need to carry on the above task of sampling. Basically i need Windows (obviously), with the sp2 download, the USB port with it's driver and the driver pack i downloaded for using my mp3 as a storage device. I also need the ps2 mouse port to work as the little green knobbly thing for controlling the cursor doesn't work.

I also have another problem. Ahem... Embarassed with the ps2 mouse now not working due to my ignorance in trying to solve the above problem Embarassed actually it's more to do with the cursor not appearing on the screen. i think i ticked a box in msconfig settings menu to do with display then boot then boot-something. i can't recall and i'm 30 miles away from the laptop so couldn't tell you till i get back to it. but you may know what the hell i'm talking about, cos i certainly don't! for god's sake please help i'm tearin' me bloody hair out with this thing. Well i would if i didn't shave it off!!

Thanks to those with the superior skill and knowledge...
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The laptop should be fine for the internet.

The problems appear to be to do with the drivers, not Windows itself. If you look in Device Manager, does anything show a problem?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
sl23

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Only Battery Reply with quote

Device manager shows nothing wrong except the battery- "ACPI Battery" appears twice, removed but windows reinstalled both. They both have an exclamation mark icon on them and say NTKERN.--- exe is it? not installing driver. though i doubt this has anything to do with display!!!

Thanks

scott
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What appears under Display Adapters? I suspect the correct drivers are not installed. You will probably need to reinstall the display adapter drivers.
sl23

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have already tried re-installing the batteries drivers, even using the win98FE disc that i had repaired. apperently the drivers for the battery are not on the disc as i got a message saying unable to locate.

Amazingly i sorted the display problem out quite by accident though. I tried the windows help feature which told me to type msconfig in the run box, though this wasn't for the problem i was having it showed me where the problem lie. once i did this i had a list of options stating how the pc was to start up, the option for selective start up was ticked Embarassed though i might add not by me???

I'm also having a problem with WMP5 not playing MP3 files even though it's selected as a file format to be played in the options. I'll have to get back to you on what the error message is.

You say my toshiba sat pro 490xcdt is good enough for internet but i read about some guy having problems with pcmcia cards on his old win98 system. I need one for an ethernet connection as i have no means of connecting this laptop to the internet.

For convenience here's the spec again:
96mb RAM
4Gb HDD
CD ROM
1 USB
Intel P2
Win98FE (upgraded via unofficial SP2 from web)
nusb3.2 driver upgrade

Thanks to those with the superior skill and knowledge...
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because 1 person had a problem getting a PCMCIA device to work, does not mean that you will. If you don't want to go down the PCMCIA route then you may be able to find a USB to RJ45 network adapter - although you will need to check it will work with Win 98FE. The spec is more thanenough for internet browsing.
sl23

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks i suppose that's a fair point i'll give the pcmcia a go Smile

Do you have any idea about WMP not playing MP3's though? I'm trying to record my vinyl collection, which is taking forever on the tosh sat pro!!! Can i record to WMA format as can't find the option for this even though these files are listed in the files to play screen.

Or why my battery power meter no longer displays? I might add this is only since either installing the nusb32exeupdate, the win98sp (unofficial), or since having the problem booting up properly. I suppose it's not that important but if you have any ideas it'd be appreciated, thanks...
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP5 should play MP3s, it may help if you can tell me the error. It also might be beneficial to upgrade to WMP7.1 for Windows 98.

With regard to the battery icon, it is probably because the battery in Device Manager is showing a problem. Try removing these items from Device Manager and restarting the computer.
sl23

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually WMP6.2.???? but there lies a problem. Can I download WMP7.1 using another computer then install this saved file onto my tosh? Is it worth doing this, I mean is WMP7.1 much improvement?

(ADDITION TO ORIGINAL MSGE) the error message from WMP appears in a window with an "advanced" button. Click on this and the message reads -
Unable to download an appropriate decompressor. (Error=80040200)
An invalid media type was specified. (Error=80040200)

I have tried removing them already but to no avail. Think i'm stuck with that one! Crying or Very sad The battery is probly knacked anyway, it's about 10yrs old!!!
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: