Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB stick drivers for Win98

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
MichaelH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: USB stick drivers for Win98 Reply with quote

I followed the guidance on the main website to downoad and install generic USB drivers for Win98SE - "Windows 98 SE Generic USB Mass Storage Device Drivers v3.3 - nusb33e.exe".

I ran the exe file as instructed and all that happened was that I got a message: "a required resource cannot be located". Very helpful indeed!

Can anyone suggest what I do now?

I am posting a separate message about the reason I need the USB stick working: there may be an alternative approach...

Thanks

MichaelH
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not come across this message before. Try downloading the exe again, it could be the first time it downloaded with a problem.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
MichaelH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck, I'm afraid. I tried again, and got the same message. The exe file seems to be OK, it's possible to open it with Winzip and see lots of files listed.

MichaelH
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get the same problem if you download and install version 2.4 (nusb24e.exe)?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
MichaelH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I downloaded the 2.4 version you mention, and in the process of transferring it to the Win98 laptop - via USB stick to a third PC and then floppy disk to the laptop - I noticed that the file icon was quite different from the one for the 3.3 version. Hmm. So I went back and downloaded the 3.3 version for the third time, transferred it to the Win98 desktop via USB stick & floppy, and this time the icon matched the one for version 2.4, that is the icon for a self-extracting zipped executable. And it was a bit bigger than the previous version.

I'm amazed that Winzip managed to open the earlier truncated version and display the files. Normally in my experience a damaged file is a damaged file and won't cooperate with anything. It's also extremely rare for me to have problems with downloads, so to have the same problem twice with the same file must be more than a coincidence. And normally when I do have a problem with a download, Winzip immediately reports if it is damaged.

Anyway to cut a long story short I ran the third download of the 3.3 version, and it worked. Razz

I now have at least one working USB stick, and that's all I need. It's a cheap Maxell one, with none of that time-wasting U3 nonsense on it and can be dedicated to this one task. I also have the luxury of a small "remove hardware" icon, whiich had better not disappear like they do from XP!

Thanks very much for the help, that's a decent laptop saved from the skip, to carry on running 24/7 until it breaks. The scary thing is, it probably cost more to buy - in real money terms - than the fancy 20 inch all-in-one Sony Vista machine that has just replaced the constant buzzing, whirring and occasional grinding noises from a standard desktop XP PC with blissful silence. Well, almost silence, but it's still blissful.

MichaelH
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it working. Very Happy
BlasterTrev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried the v3.3 and it works OK with my old memory stick but when I plug in a 4Gb Kingston DataTraveler Mini Slim drive Windoze is still asking for a driver - anyone got any ideas please?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going through the wizard to install the driver, it should automatically pick up the drivers and install them. If not it could be they are not compatible with the drivers, however most USB drives seem to work.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: