Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB to Parallel port converter cable
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
VK3QQ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: USB to Parallel port converter cable Reply with quote

I have a "USB to Parallel Port" converter cable. The XP computer appears to recognise the cable being plugged into the computer, but will not recognise a scanner (for example) connected to it. What more do I need to do?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it show up in Device Manager?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
VK3QQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
How does it show up in Device Manager?

It shows up in USB Controllers, under "USB Printing Support"
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have a LPT port showing for it in Device Manager. You will need to configure the scanner to use that LPT port.

These types of parallel ports often have compatibility issues with devices, you may never get it to work with the scanner. You would be better with parallel port on a PCI card.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
VK3QQ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
You should have a LPT port showing for it in Device Manager. You will need to configure the scanner to use that LPT port.

These types of parallel ports often have compatibility issues with devices, you may never get it to work with the scanner. You would be better with parallel port on a PCI card.

In Device Manager is LPT1 With the scanner working normally, with its parallel port connected to the computer's parallel port, I consider it is using this port (LPT1). Removing the scanner from the computer's parallel port, leaves LPT1 redundant

With the scanner's parallel port now connected to the "converter cable", the scanner is "mechanically" connected to a USB port. And with the computer saying it has the cable on "USB Printer Support", the scanner is effectively connected to this port. The problem seems to be that of telling the computer it has a scanner on this USB port, as it only sees the cable.... "How to make the cable "transparent"......
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these ages ago. I could get one of my printers to work on it, but that was all. I wanted 2 printers and a scanner (all parallel) on my system. The scanner HAD to be on the computer printer port, my printer that worked chained through the scanner work on the USB printer port, but my other printer HAD to be connected directly to the computer printer port. In all it was a waste of money, I couldn't get everything attached at once.

Someone told me that the problem was I was trying to get a parallel device through a serial port. Parallel ports pass several lots of information at once, and serial can only do one at once - so for some devices it just doesn't work.

To be honest, it's probably easier just to go out any buy a USB scanner - they aren't expensive unless you need something super duper!
Mr. Green
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this cable work with a parallel printer? If so use this for the printer and the scanner on LPT1
VK3QQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Steve"]I bought one of these ages ago. I could get one of my printers to work on it......

Ok fine! But I'm not sure I fully understand your findings, but I do understand your frustrations! Its crazy when these are sold for a specific purpose, there appears to be no specific instructions on getting them to work! Nevertheless, I appreciate your comments on the subject!
VK3QQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Does this cable work with a parallel printer? If so use this for the printer and the scanner on LPT1

No! It will not drive my parallel port Printer or Scanner by just plugging it in! My parallel port printer runs fine from my router's (FR114p) parallel port print server. The parallel port scanner (N640p) has been running fine off the computer's parallel port for years, and still runs fine if I have the computer (XP) run from my std-by HDD. The simple fix, would be to back-clone the HDDs, but because of other data, I am reluctant to do this, at this stage.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of these cables only work with printers, and then not all printers. Have you installed any drivers for the cable, you will probably need to as I don't think they are generically supported by Windows, and looking on the net there are drivers available for various different USB to LPT adapters.
VK3QQ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Most of these cables only work with printers, and then not all printers. Have you installed any drivers for the cable, you will probably need to as I don't think they are generically supported by Windows, and looking on the net there are drivers available for various different USB to LPT adapters.

These cables are advertised everywhere, so they should be easy to use! It appears there are basically two types. USB to standard parallel printer style connector, and USB to standard parallel connector. Nothing is said in the package about drivers, and nothing was said at the place of purchase..... So this is the next port of call, Hi, Hi!! It's all about keeping up with, and checking out fresh areas of technology.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find an instance of this scanner working on a USB to Parallel connector, several that don't:
http://css.answerbag.com/q_view/529625
http://www.fixya.com/support/t209402-unable_use_canoscan_n640p_acer_notebook

These cables can only try to emulate, they are not a direct replacement, it is not physically possible for a serial (USB) connection to provide true parallel connection. Serial connections queue signals and send one after another, parallel send several signals simultaneously. These conversion cables usually work ok with basic printers, but more complex devices that send higher volumes of data such as scanners and higher end printers often don't work.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: