Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Windows98se Problem

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Vega$

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: USB Windows98se Problem Reply with quote

I bought this:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=null&vgnextoid=f1d5913643cfd010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ce40d21c2f32b010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&reqPage=Model

And i am having the same problem that this person was:

whisper: It just appears as USB Disk

Everything is working, but i dont see in my computer, i even see a little icon in the bottom right tray, but nothing is showing up Crying or Very sad
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive is probably formatted with NTFS, which is not supported by Windows 98. See this thread.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Vega$

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is another problem at the moment, when windows starts up, it says new hardware is found, USB disk, and it says it is install the software. However, it just sits there and the hourglass comes up, but it continues to do nothing and it wont proceed to the desktop.

Crying or Very sad
Vega$

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, when it says new hardware is found and then it says " install new sofware for your hardware ", the hourglass comes up and thats it, it just sits there and it wont get pass the screen to proceed to the desktop.

Whats wrong? Crying or Very sad
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drivers for the hard drive are not installing correctly. The generic USB drivers are not guaranteed to work with all devices, so it could be that this drive is incompatible.

Try using a different USB socket, see if this makes any difference. Try it in a powered USB hub - it could be that the PC's USB socket is not powering the drive sufficiently to work.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: