Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vaio VGC-V3S recovery

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sl23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Vaio VGC-V3S recovery Reply with quote

Well...

I have this all in one PC that I gave to a friend, after I gave it to him the HDD was formatted and win XP 32 HP was installed. Obviously it worked but without all the Sony stuff on it.

The DVD drive isn't working properly, and though it won't read DVD's I believe CD's can be read. As my friend bought XP Pro and installed that recently due to needing a recovery. Now, though, the original drivers for the Vaio aren't installed with windows obviously, so I was asked to sort out the resolution and audio.

I did this once before, but was unsure exactly how. I downloaded the original drivers and some are .exe files and some aren't. I clicked all the .exe ones which I think is what I did first time. The others I don't know how to install. This I would like to know for future reference please Wink

After installing these drivers, all was fine, apart from the screen was more like 4:3 instead of 16:9 and no audio, but now the keyboard and mouse don't work. I've tried new batteries, booting into safe mode, even another HDD I happen to have!

None of that has worked. The mouse and keyboard are wireless but don't seem to be dependent on windows as I can use keyboard to boot into BIOS and safe mode via F2 and F5. Once safe mode has loaded there's a logon screen with two accounts, trouble is I can't do any thing to get into them. If I start windows normally it loads straight into the main account but neither mouse or keyboard work.

In fact nothing else works either. No USB, no TV input, no Network nothing.

I'm totally lost and the only thing I can think of doing but don't have the hardware to do it at present is remove the HDD install in another PC, format and reinstall windows and try again!

Is their anything I can do, or is this my only option?

Please help

Thanks

Scott
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

presumably you downloaded the driver pack from here? http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGC-V3S

some of those have to be installed from within device manager by using the .inf file contained in each driver. You have to identify the hardware in device manager, and then browse to the correct file
Theres a tutorial about installing drivers this way at http://www.vistaarticles.com/articles/255/1/Cannot-Install-Device-Driver-by-Using-its-Installation-Program/print/255
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks for the advice. But do you have any idea how to get the mouse and keyboard working at all first Laughing

As I said above once windows loads they stop working Evil or Very Mad

Yes I downloaded all the apps and drivers from the Sony site that were originally installed.

Thanks

Scott

PS would win7 run ok on this?
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB mice & keyboards can be a PITA at times. Plug n pray detection often fouls up

basic troubleshooting step-by-step rules are
1) don't use a hub - plug them straight into the PC
2) unplug all other USB devices (sometimes a drive, printer or camera will be detected by PnP before the mouse/keyb - but can't install properly before you get into windows so it blocks anything else installing)
3) when you get to the windows login screen, unplug both, then plug them into different USB ports, and wait up to five minutes for them to be detected and installed
4) try booting into safe mode - does it work then? If it does, reboot and try normally again.
5) some mice can be funny about BIOS-level drivers when in windows, so go into the BIOS and try the options on enabling / disabling "USB legacy support". Some need it, some don't.

As to Win7, personally I wouldn't. Its a single core P4 machine with only 512MB DDR RAM. You may find it works OK with a RAM upgrade to around 2GB, but not having tried it I can't be sure. My experience of Win7 on lower spec machines is limited, but based on what I saw with Vista I wouldn't hope for much
sl23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're obviously not reading my posts properly! Tut! Tut!

USB isn't working, no power to ports. The original mouse/keyboard work via some sort of wireless control. But Once windows loads they stop working.

Already tried safe mode which can be accessed via F5 I believe it was, but again once windows loads the mouse and keyboard stop working.

Not sure if you are familiar with this model, but, when new, first setup consisted of mouse/keyboard setup before windows installation using a 'connect' button on the PC and each peripheral. This was only ever done once despite the HDD being formatted and windows reinstalled twice since then.
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading them OK, just maybe not understanding them in the way you intended...
You're right - I hadn't appreciated the nature of the keyboard/mouse connection. I'd assumed a wireless USB controller, but obviously its inbuilt. However that HAS to be either an internal USB adpator, or a hacked PS2 connector (Tiny did something similar with some of their machines, hotwiring the PS2 terminals to a radio sender)
In this case, knowing Sony I'd guess that the radio is attached to the USB - which ties in with the USB ports failing in windows (which indicates driver problems)
I assume you've tried with a "normal" USB mouse - switching ports when you get to windows (as I said earlier)? If so, and that fails then my guess is that the chipset driver installation has gone wrong. I've noticed before that with the Intel chipset driver package when you run it the USB driver installation crashes - after which the machine reboots and USB fails. System restore usually does not fix the problem
The way round it is to do a clean installation, and then manually install any missing motherboard drivers through the .inf file. You have to unpack / extract the infinst_autol.exe file using a program such a 7-zip (winzip can't do it) into a folder, and manually find the .inf files through device manager as required. Leave the USB drivers well alone. I've never seen this problem documented anywhere, but I've hit it several times before. I'm convinced theres an incompatibility between the Intel USB drivers and the version installed by some Windows XP updates

PS - just for the record, the user guide for this model (including how to connect the keyboard / mouse is at ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/Desktops/V3/V3_H_EN.pdf
sl23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies if I hadn't explained properly Embarassed

Yes I had tried a wired USB mouse and it appears there's no power to any USB ports as it's laser doesn't light up when plugged in.

I don't actually have a clue myself, but wouldn't the mouse/keyboard fail altogether if wired to USB even if hacked as you put it? The reason I ask is that the keyboard obviously works before windows as I can access BIOS and startup options.

Looks like I'll have to remove HDD as I said before and setup on another PC then? Unless there's another way round it? DVD drive not working but may read CD not sure til friend can find his Windows disc!

Thank you for your time
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no - if I'm right you shouldn't need to do that
As I understand it, you managed to install windows and then install SOME drivers - i.e. the ones you run from an .exe file. The mouse/ keyb must have been working for you to do that
The Intel chipset drivers are one of those exe files. I assume at that point the mouse / keyboard (and probably USB) were working OK until you ran the intel setup file. My theory is that installing the Intel drivers broke the software at that point
If I'm right, the way to go is simply to reformat the drive and install windows again, this time installing all the drivers EXCEPT the Intel chipset ones.
If at the end of it, there are any errors showing in device manager, then extract the intel exe file using 7-zip, and then install the missing devices from the inf file through device manager.
Most of the function of the Intel drivers is incorporated into the normal default windows drivers, especially the later service packs so you won't lose anything by doing what is effectively a "partial" driver installation.

and to answer your question about the USB working until you get to windows: thats because at that stage its being controlled by the BIOS. Modern machines have BIOS-level drivers for mouse / keyb, which are unloaded when windows kicks in. The problem here is that the BIOS-level drivers are dropping out when windows loads, but not getting replaced by the 32-bit windows drivers. In Windows 9x you could get round that by "enabling legacy support" on the USB in BIOS - that then loaded 16-bit fail-safe drivers which would actually work in 9X, but they won't work in XP or later
sl23

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok first thanks for your reply greatly appreciated Wink

Only windows was installed via the CD/DVD drive, the drivers were downloaded when the machine worked!

Right, I have managed to get his copy of XP Home SP3. On the third attempt it managed to copy all necessary files and I am now at the stage where I have to put the key in. Except... I only have the original key on the back of the machine, god knows what happened to the one that came with his XP disc?!

Thing is it won't work, the key I mean, and I don't know what to do!! Do I carry on with the install which isn't recommended or do I cancel setup and start from scratch?

Btw, the original OS was XP Home SP2, does that make a difference?
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the disks which had XP SP3 preloaded use a different product activation system and also a different product key sequence. They enabled you to install windows on a trial basis and then type in the key later. But your SP2 key will not work with it.

You can try calling the Microsoft activation line, explain the situation and see if they will give you a replacement key. Some of them will, some won't.
The number is
0800 018 8354

PS - in theory you should be better off using the SP3 disk as it contains a wider range of preinstalled drivers, especially for SATA hard drives, which cuts out the need to load drivers from floppies at first boot. It should also have things like Hi-def audio preinstalled. However if you don't have a key for it, its not much use!
hhcg00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: hhcg Reply with quote

Nike Factory Store
hyperdunk 2014
Veste Moncler Femme
adidas kläder
Ugg Button
cheap uggs for women
canada goose online store
Bottes Ugg Femme Pas Cher
Lebron 13
uggs outlet