Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

very slow laptop

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
barlot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: very slow laptop Reply with quote

Hi I have acer 5520 laptop which is running very slow, it takes near 15 mins to load then takes about 5 mins to start any program or too open the start menu, you see the circle spinning by the pointer it do's this all time when load anything and stays 5 mins til program opens , but even the programs run slow and cant run 2 at same time , I have done a factory recovery from the discs and it still the same very very slow. Do's anyone know what this could be could it be cpu or memory causing how can I check which it is, it also takes about 1 hour write a cd and takes 8 hours to write a dvd which normally only took 10mins for cd and 1hr30 mins for dvd but know way too long. Please can anyone help.
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've reloaded it and its then slow "out of the box" without any extra software installed, then it could be a failing hard drive

However there are many possible things at play here
What model of machine is it?
What version of Windows?
What antivirus / security software is on it?
How much RAM memory?
Acers usually come with the hard drive split in a c:\system and d:\data partitions. How full are those two partitions?
barlot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, it's acer aspire 5520 with windows vista home premium, the machine as 4gb ram . The original acer software is installed and nero 10 , the anti virus is microsoft security . The hard drive is new 6 month ago its 250gb western digital, thanks
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without seeing the machine its hard to know
But the probabilities are that either you have some malware running on it, the drive is failing, or the drive is full
barlot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , well I did a factory restore from original discs couple of days ago hoping that would cure but still same , I havent connected it to the internet since then so their should not be malware on it , all ive done is instslled windows and nero 10 and microsoft security as have them all on disc , I tested the hard drive already with western digital diognostic tool which says the hard drive is fine , and theirs 198gb free , I tried to copy dvd which took 6 hours to do and I tried write one ehich took around 8 hours. Thats why was eonder if cpu or memory how can I test them as I dont want to rrplace wrong item. Thanks
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the CPU is faulty it will crash. In fact in 15 years of working with PCs I have never known a working CPU fail unless its been tampered with.
As for bad memory, that can occasionally fail, but when it does it either gives BSODs or stops bootup

Theres a chance a stick of memory has come loose and is no longer seated and so not "seen" by the system - but thats a chance in ten million. Check -is windows properties does it report all your memory as present?

Beyond that I can't really offer more except to make the generic comments
1) its an Acer so don;t expect much in terms of motherboard reliability
2) its one of the less reliable Acers
barlot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced the cpu and the machine is now running fast as it use too thanks
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then I would suggest that in replacing the CPU you've inadvertently sorted out problems with the machine overheating
In taking it apart you would have had to reseat the heatpipe with new thermal compound and also clean the fan
PcTestCard.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest we check the HDD by running chkdsk c: /r/s to find the HDD error.

use 'bootvis.exe' small app downloadable from internet.
This app can make the boot process faster.
Also disable all startup app using 'msconfig' command.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager
johhny-marshal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Slow Laptop Reply with quote

As the problem you described it sounds hardware of your laptop is not fine. you need to replace it very soon.
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a thread from April
Its AUGUST now - four months on. There really is no point in going oer this agaian. The OP reported the problem as resolved - why not jut leave it at that?
michaelblinn86

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: CPU is faulty Reply with quote

I have never known a working CPU fail unless its been tampered with and any change hardware. Theres a chance a stick of memory has come loose expect much in terms of motherboard reliability, either gives BSODs or stops bootup.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: