Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VFAT error after installing nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe PANIC!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
pokefan_frank

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: VFAT error after installing nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe PANIC! Reply with quote

Ok, this was supposed to be a simple matter: I have a very old computer (A Compaq Presario 4712 that came with Windows 95, but had Windows 98 installed on it, just about all the rest is what came with the computer) and I had 100 MB of information I needed to get out of it. The computer does not work with my new broadband internet, the CD tray has been jammed for years, and it does not recognize USB flash drives. Thus, the only way in and out of the computer is via diskettes.

Knowing it would take me forever to get 100 MB out via diskettes, I thought, "hey, all I need is a driver for my flash drive" and so Googled "Windows 98 USB driver" and after reading through several of the results, stuck to the first: http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

My Windows was First Edition, so I downloaded the Service Pack on the site, put it in a zip (it spanned only 27 diskettes), and when I installed it checked the main update (hotfixes, etc), the ASPI, and the Scandisk update (I unchecked the DirectX and Windows Media because I thought I already had them). On the first try, the computer ran out of space, and Windows suggested I do the system cleanup, which deleted the temp files the installer was using.

The installer gave a few errors about files not found (both in the DOS window and in dialog boxes) and went to what appeared to be the next step: updating the start menu icons and reporting a "successful" installation. I uninstalled Messenger and ran the installer again. This time, it froze when it was updating the start menu icons, so I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del and closed all those non-responding windows that only said "updating start menu icons", and also closed a supposed gv#&$%.exe or something that wasn't responding either. It then told me I had to restart my computer, I told it to do so, and when it had closed the start bar, it said the installation finished successfully. Upon clicking OK on that, the computer restarted normally.

I then went to the next thing on http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98fe-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php which was deleting existing USB drivers, but I didn't appear to have any USB drivers installed. So I put the Windows 98 FE Generic USB Mass Storage Device Drivers v3.20 - nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe on a diskette and ran it on my old computer straight off the diskette. It then said I had to restart, and I told it to do so. After an hour, it still hadn't done anything. I mean, it had closed the start bar so all I could see was my wallpaper, but it hadn't restarted. I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del and a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) said it was waiting for the "close program" window to appear, so I pressed escape. After another half an hour of waiting, I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del again, and I got a BSOD that said "The system has become unstable" and, as before, also said Ctrl-Alt-Del will restart, any other key will return to windows. I dropped my hand on a random key by mistake, and it returned to windows, which now was a black void the mouse floated in; not even the wallpaper was visible. After another half an hour, I tried to press Ctrl-Alt-Del a third time, but nothing happened.

I stretched my hand and flipped the switch (IMAGINE! THIS COMPUTER IS SO OLD IT STILL HAS A SWITCH!) waited about three minutes, and switched it back on. The computer started normally: I got the usual red Compaq logo on a black screen where a DOS cursor blinks. But then, rather than getting Compaq's animated entrance to windows, (a colored background where several black and white icons surround the Compaq logo and get colored one by one) I got the following BSOD:

Quote:

VFAT Device Initialization Failed
A device or resource required by VFAT is not present or is unavailable. VFAT cannot continue loading. System halted.

I am now panicking! Have I lost everything on my computer, including the hundred megs I originally needed? Is there any way to save the computer or revert the damage? Have I done anything horribly wrong?

I Googled the error and I got a Microsoft Knowledge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/139063/en-us but it requires I know if the IFSHLP.SYS is missing, CONFIG.SYS points to the wrong ifsyshlp.sys, or if ifshlp.sys has been removed from config.sys. HOW CAN I KNOW THAT IF MY COMPUTER WON'T START? It also speaks of an edit.com, and I've never in my life heard of an edit.com!

HELP!

edit:
I flipped the computer on again to put in more detail how it usually starts up, and when exactly in the process the Vfat BSOD appears, but instead Windows ask me to start it up in Safe Mode. Miraculously, Safe Mode works; but of course, I don't want to try to put my Flash Drive in now and risk losing everything for real, and am actually contemplating using the 100 diskettes

Last edited by pokefan_frank on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:59 am; edited 2 times in total
pokefan_frank

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know if bumping or double posting is allowed. I just wanted to say that I know the page says to backup your files, but the thing is, I was doing this precisely to back up my files! Please help. I'm desperate!
PaulWin98SE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to use disketts. Use a zip program like zipcentral or winzip, using disk spanning. Fewer disks will be needed.

You might consider using: Run scanreg /restore in dos mode. And go back to the morning or before of the day of the crash/problem. This has to be done within 5 boot days. Or that registry data is lost forever. This will undo registry problems by restoring a previous good registry. If the registry was where the problem was being caused.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that you can get in to Windows in Safe Mode. The USB flash drive will not work in Safe Mode, however you should be able to follow the Microsoft instructions that you found regarding the error from Safe Mode. From here you should have access to the files it refers to.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
pokefan_frank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tools don't work. I don't know if it something I did years ago, or if the driver made them stop working.

I decided to start with a few files at a time, but I honestly couldn't take any more after having passed 60 diskettes.

After this, I have to start up the computer all the way to the VFAT error for safe mode to appear again. However, the wierd thing is that at one point I started it up with the flash drive plugged in and it started up normally! I even was able to allow to myself to copy other files (which I had forgotten existed) because the flash drive worked.

In summary, the problem is fixed, but I may never know what caused it.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good news. Odd that it just fixed itself though!ugh!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: