Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viewing scanned docs from emails.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
spacecadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Viewing scanned docs from emails. Reply with quote

I recently installed Quicktime on my pc cos it played mp4s (while Windows Media player wouldn't). This is fine, but unfortunately the Quicktime picture viewer is now opening, by default, any scanned docs that i receive as attachments in emails.

Before Quicktime, I used to be able to magnify the scan (using a magnifying glass icon) - I'm not entirely sure, but i presume i was viewing the docs with Windows Media player then?

Can anyone tell me how i change my settings so i can open these attachments with Windows Media player again?

Saving them to my pc was also easy then. I can't even find the option to save them with the Quicktime picture viewer.

Many thanks for any help !
Markb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not mention what OS you are using, but in Windows XP, the default was Widows Picture and Fax Viewer. To change the program that uses it:-

Arrow Open Windows Explorer or My Computer
Arrow Click on Tools>Folder Options
Arrow Select "File Types" tab
Arrow Select file extension to change, for pictures you will probably want to change, BMP GIF JPG JPEG PNG
Arrow In the lower half under details it will say the currently associated program. Click on change
Arrow Select "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" from the list.
Arrow Click OK and repeat as necessary for other file types.

Hope this helps.
spacecadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Viewing scanned docs from emails Reply with quote

Markb - thankyou for taking the time to reply. I'm using MS Office 2007 and Windows Vista. I don't have a Tools>Folder Options option in Windows Explorer though....
Markb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs. The cause of the problem is the same, MS have changed how you sort it.
Follow this link for instructions.
spacecadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Viewing scanned docs from emails Reply with quote

Thankyou again. I am following step #2 but when i go to the Control Panel and click on Programmes I can't see the option to Make a file type always open in a specific program

Would you know where that is?
spacecadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Viewing scanned docs from emails Reply with quote

I tried the other way. I went to Classic View and Default Programs... and have changed it to Microsoft Picture Manager.

Windows Picture and Fax viewer has been replaced by the Photo Gallery in Vista it seems. I remember now, that's what was defaulting before Quicktime. When i selected it again now though, it was just opening the photo gallery and not opening my file. I don't understand that. Microsoft Picture Manager seems ok though.
Markb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: