Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Virtual Memory Issue

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
fin10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Virtual Memory Issue Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and a bit of a novice in this kind of stuff which is a bit of a problem as everything I have read about this issue has all been a bit technical up to now but I shall give it a try.

Last night, having had a program crash on me due to lack of virtual memory I decided to have a clean out, driver update and a check of the virtual memory set up, as I have done on numerous occasions.

I have cleaned the registry using regcure, got rid of all the temp files etc using a number of optimisation tools and then updated the drivers for my motherboard and video card (Iam running a 9 series Nvidia nforce motherboard and Geforce series 8 card).

I then went onto a technical guide for sorting out the virtual memory issue which suggested I should initially do a restart with the no page file set on the advanced settings to clear the pagefile.sys before applying the new settings however, having checked the no page file box as suggested and carrying out the restart, when I eturned to the setting and tried to enter the values in the virtual memory allocations I got the following error message

Runtime Error!

Program: c:\WINDOWS\system 32\mmc.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information.

I have been on the windows support base to try and find a solution to the issue where I found a hotfix however, it failed to work. I now cannot hange my virtual memory settings and have all but rendered this machine useless. I am reluctant to have to pay out 46 quid to have microsoft sort out an issue that occured as the result of me following their instructions in the first place.

Can anyone help?
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you run mmc from the run menu? It sounds like something has damaged the Microsoft Management Console.
fin10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure but, I seem to have fixed it. I am afraid I used a bit of a cheat, and probably a risky one at that but, I found a forum where someone was having the same problem as a result of which, they were asked to put up a copy of part of their registry pertaining to the memory. The expert making the request confirmed that this was not the issue and that the registry entries were ok, so I made a comparison and where applicable, changed anything that was wrong and it worked so I am back to being able to change my VM however, I am still none the wiser as to whether the VM has been altered suitably to avoid my programs crashing to desktop.

fingers crossed.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a high risk solution, I hope it works well for you.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: