Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vista Freezing

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
salartech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Vista Freezing Reply with quote

Help! I bought an Emachines in 2007 preloaded with Windows XP with a Vista Home Premium a free disc (but specific to the Emachine system). I have been running Vista for some 3 years. It runs ok if a bit slow except that the CPU completely freezes randomly. After 5 mins or 10 mins or more of being frozen the CPU starts processing normally again. Occasionally it does not unfreeze at all and I have to power down and reboot it. AVG and Adaware have not found a virus nor has Windows Defender or MS Security Essentials. I usually run only one application at a time. Currently I run Disk clean and Defrag every 2 weeks, Cache and Registry cleaner (CCleaner) runs monthly ; Spamfighter PC Clean runs weekly but none of them makes any difference. The CPU is a Pentium 4 (3.20GH), 1GB RAM; average disk space available is 22GB. I do not believe lack of memory is the cause as when it unfreezes it runs ok. MS tells me to consult seller and / or manufacturer but after warranty seller and manufacturer will not help. If the problem cannot be fixed I want to 1) Reload the Vista disc and / or 2) Reload a dump of my original XP + applications + data that I made before I loaded Vista. I am saving all my data on memory sticks. I don't know if anyone has any experience of similar problems of freezing or experience of re-loading MS Windows or a saved XP dump. I am a bit nervous of both 1) and 2) above as there is the possibility that my PC becomes unusable
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem here is probably just that Windows has become bloated over the time you've had it and it needs a fresh install. That said, 1Gb isn't much for Vista, and AVG isn't the best AV software these days and can slow your system down somewhat. Avast is better in my opinion.

I would say that this system would run better with XP than Vista in general, however if you want Vista it should be OK.

I would recommend backing up any data you want to keep to an external drive and doing a clean install of Windows (whichever version you prefer). Once installed put Avast on instead of AVG (they both have free versions).

Doing this isn't that hard, and if you have access to another PC with internet access we can help and guide through the process.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pretty much echo what Softstag has said, except to stress that 1GB RAM is NOT enough to run Vista. You need 2GB minimum. Any less and it WILL hang / freeze just as you describe. AVG doesn't help - the last couple of versions have been much more memory hungry. Of the free AV offerings, at present Avast is probably the best, especially as regards memory use.

One thing that is worth considering, is that freezes like this can be caused by a failing hard drive. It would be worth downloading the diagnostic tools CD for whoever made the drive, and thoroughly test the drive
PcTestCard.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista needs 2 GB RAM to Run smoothly.

If the problem persists after using 2 GB RAM, try reseat the CPU and the HDD data cable on the mainboard.

Also remove the mainobard battery for 10 minutes.

hope this helps!
Bill
Tech Manager
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to jump in here and say that as a rule, reseating a CPU is NOT a good idea unless you know what you're doing
The chances of bending the pins on the motherboard are just too high. To be honest, I've yet to see a current generation processor come unseated. Old socket 7 / A / 370 designs, yes, they did. But modern designs? No.
By all means reseat memory, cables, cards, but leave the CPU alone - unless the machine is showing signs of overheating, in which case take the heat sink off and replace the thermal paste
Even then with an AMD processor you have to be very careful as often the thermal compound sticks the CPU so tightly to the heat sink that removing the heat sink often rips the CPU out of the socket. And that usually means a dead CPU or motherboard
Dan Ashl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also advise doing a clean install...The reason being...
I had a similar problem:
I bought a refurbished IBM laptop, which had windows xp pre-installed on it.
When I got it, everything seemed to be fine, except that when I started watching youtube videos, they didn't play smoothly. It seemed as if the CPU was malfunctioning, or it had some other issues which made videos run so slow. The processor was supposed to be 1.7 Ghz, and the laptop had 2 GB of RAM - yet the videos freezed every 3 seconds (My sister had exactly the same laptop, with same specs, and the her computer worked just fine, without freezing). No matter what techniques I tried, no matter what driver updates and softwares I installed - still the same issue. I already kind of buried that laptop in my mind...blaming the processor...Having tried all the other methods, I decided to make a clean Win XP install. And voila! No more video freezes - processor fixed! Or should I say, windows reinstalled. Anyway, sometimes clean windows install may help.
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan
In a case like yours, the first thing to normally look at would be the graphics
Freezing when playing videos is often a sign of an overheating or failing graphics chip, but as you found out it could also be a software problem
What was wrong in your case? Several possibilities spring to mind
Outdated version of Flash installed
Old or faulty display drivers
Old versions of the chipset drivers
Incompatible codecs (e.g. having Flash and Realplayer both installed can cause freezing)
Flash not set to use enough local cache storage
Full hard drive

There must be at least as many other possible causes, but I'd put these near the top of the list
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: