Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vista Problems

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
salartech

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Vista Problems Reply with quote

Please help with my PC before I throw it out of the "window".
Problems are: 1)Applications "Not responding" and also with whiteouts. 2)
Cursor keeps freezing or locking up. 3) PC locks up periodically for 10 minutes or more.
I have an Esystems PC with Pentium 4; MS Vista Home Premium regularly updated; average disk space available 22GB; Disk cleaned and Defragged every 2 weeks (but makes no difference); Cache and Registry cleaner runs monthly (but makes no difference); Spamfighter PC Clean run weekly; Configured so only anti virus (MS Security Essentials) and Spyware (Adaware, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Doctor) runs at start; Windows Defender runs weekly. All a/v and spyware apps report no problems. Have stopped a/v and spyware programs individually but makes no difference. Vista has always been problematic but it is becoming a real pain. Would appreciate your help. Thank
you. Twisted Evil
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) 22GB free isn't enough. Realistically you need 2x - 3x that as a minimum for Vista
How big is the hard drive in total? You may be able to create some space by using CCleaner or ATFCLeaner to remove Temp and Temp Internet files, but probably not enough. New hard drive probably required - unless the drive is split into two partitions and c:\ can be extended into the other
2) I'm assuming its a single-core P4? If so, not really powerful enough for Vista
3) get rid of Spyware Doctor. Its well known to cause problems making machine running slowly. Don't just disable it - actually uninstall it. Besides which it will clash with the MS Security Essentials.
4) How much RAM does the machine have? For Vista you need a minimum of 2GB

I get the impression this is an XP machine which has had Vista installed on it, without the hardware upgrades needed to make it work. Vista needs a lot more power than XP
salartech

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Current Status Reply with quote

Hi Jons, Many thanks for help. You are right - it is a XP PC which came with a free upgrade to Vista Home premium some 3 months later.
1) My disc is 80GB. I have cleaned up everything except a couple of unwanted programs (only a couple) to uninstall and take my photos onto memory stick (docs already on a stick).
2) Correct - single core P4.
3) I have uninstalled SpyDoctor and you are right that everything speeded up. However, the PC still freezes occasionally and locks up for some 10 mins before resuming.
4) RAM is 1GB. I tried to use a memory stick for extra memory but it would not accept it - apparently the type required costs as much/more as a memory upgrade to 2GB.

I have a XP dump which I could restore - is it worth the hassle?
Rolling Eyes
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of things you can do
1) first take every thing off the D: drive, then from within windows management delete the D: partition and expand C: into the free space
Even then, 80GB isn't a lot for a modern machine by the time you start downloading stuff.
Heres a howto on changing teh partition size http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/how-to-resize-a-partition-in-windows-vista

2) get more RAM. Using a USB memory stick won't work as RAM. It may speed up boot time using the "readyboost" technology but it WON'T work as a replacement for RAM. You need at least 2GB, preferably 3GB (especially if the graphics memory is shared). If the OS is 32-bit Vista then don't bother with more than 3GB
I'll repeat that - using a USB stick will not work, whatever anyone else tells you. The databus speeds and connections are all wrong for it to work

there still remains the problem of the CPU though. With a single core P4 this is never going to run quickly under Vista. Personally I'd revert it back to XP, at least then the machine would be more stable with an OS which matches the hardware

a PS to the above
you said "However, the PC still freezes occasionally and locks up for some 10 mins before resuming."
that could be just do to the lack of memory, could indicate a failing hard drive, or it could be overheating. maybe time to get someone to open it up and check the state of the cooling fan and thermal paste
desinet3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

22GB free space seems more than enough to run Vista. My Home computer has even less than 7 GB free space, but is running perfect.
I would suggest to look for...
1. RAM
2. Processor speed
salartech

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks to all who responded, Looks like the best bet is to revert to XP which is a bit of a pain as I will lose a good Windows Movie Maker and revert to a bad version. I will go to XP and see what other options re M/M.
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're trying to make films then you need a LOT more space on the drive
A finished DVD takes up around 5GB. You need 2-3x that to hold the various clips you are editing, plus another 5-10GB for the "work in progress" files
And that assumes you delete all the files after completing a film...
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: