Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vista Temp Internet Files

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
salartech

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Vista Temp Internet Files Reply with quote

Sad Hi, I need to overwrite and erase some personal files sent as email attachments. I can copy them ok to my own folder locations but the attachment is still held in C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5... I can only access as far as Windows and cannot find TemporaryInternetFiles etc to erase the attachment. I am Administrator but still cannot erase these attachments. I used to be able to do this on older Windows. Can anyone help. Crying or Very sad
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that you can't access the Temporary Internet Files folder. What happens?

Have you tried accessing the temporary internet files via Tools -> Internet Options in Internet Explorer? To do this click on Settings next to Browser History, then click on View Files
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
salartech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys but I have checked Options - Browsing History - Settings - Files but this only relates to web pages not email attachments which are documents eg word; powerpoint ; adobe etc which are the types of files I am trying to delete. Windows Explorer will not let me access these attachments which I understand are in the address line as in my first posting.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the folder opened in the way I mentioned the very same address but without the Content.IE5 on the end? Due to the way that these folders are handled within Windows, what you see in Temporary Internet Files is actually a combination of several folders within the Content.IE5 folder.

As far as I know Windows Mail (I assume this is what you are using) uses the same location as IE7 for the temporary files. This location is limited and size, and older files are automatically purged to prevent the folder becoming too large and filling up your hard drive. So now the files could have been deleted already.

If you are not sure that the files have been deleted, have you tried searching for the files?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your explorer settings are set to show system and hidden files too.
salartech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Erasing Temp Internet Files Reply with quote

Thanks Softstag but I have tried searching for these files and cannot find them. However, they are still attached to emails. I can still copy them and still open them as Email attachments. Yes I am using Windows Mail. All I can find in Temp Internet File folder are web page type addresses not the email attachments. If I just do an ordinary delete they will disappear but they are still on my hard disc. What I want to do is overwrite them using a file shredder not just delete them. Any more thoughts would be welcome. Rolling Eyes
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are looking to delete the email itself with the attachment?

Windows Mail stores each email as a .eml file. This is kept in C:\Users\Your-user-name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folders\. From here you can see all your folders - it's just a case of finding the email that you don't want. Any attachments will be embedded within this email file - so you will need to delete this file as it contains the email with the attachment - you can't just delete the attachment.

I hope this helps....
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: