Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

W2000 problems with USB Memory Stick

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
raymac29

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: W2000 problems with USB Memory Stick Reply with quote

I have a USB 128MB memory stick that has been fully working with my computer for some time. Recently I have been having a problem, in that, the computer refuses to recognise it.
With the memory stick connected, the USB icon appears in the System Tray, also a small light on the memory stick flashes, indicating it is working. Rt. clicking on the icon allows me to correctly shut down the memory stick and remove it, otherwise I get an error message about shutting down correctly. This would indicate that at least some part of the operating system is recognising the stick.
However when I go into my computer/explore, there is no indication of the presence of the memory stick as a removable memory device. (Before this problem occurred, the memory stick did show up).
I have tried the same memory stick in a different computer, with no problems. It is recognised and is fully functional. I have plugged my USB scanner into the computer where it too is fully recognised, and has full functionality. This indicates to me that there is nothing wrong with the memory stick nor with the USB hardware. I think that this will only leave the problem in the Windows 2000 Pro.operating software.
Going into the device manager/disk drives, there is a yellow ! mark (a direct hardware conflict) alongside 128MB USB2.0 Flash Drive Device. (This being the correct specification of the device). I right click on this device and choose properties. On the general tab, in the device status box it states “This device cannot start (code 10)”. On the lower window, it tells me that the device is enabled.
Choosing the Driver Tab, I have tried the uninstalled and the updated driver options. I am told that a suitable driver is already installed. I have tried all combinations, nothing solves the problem.
Going to, my computer/manage/removable storage/physical locations, the memory stick is recognised as being present, but it has a white cross inside a red circle next to it. Left clicking on the memory stick, I go into the drivers file. On the right of the screen the following entry is displayed
Name, Drive 0, (with the white cross inside a red circle)
Description, 128MB USB2.0 Flash Drive Device
State, Not present, Dismountable
Loaded Media, 1
I have had a look around all of the Computer Management files and can find no other indications of any problem warnings.
To the best of my recollection, there have been no changes to my computer, either hardware or software, so I can see no reason for this problem occurring.
I will be grateful for any help you can give me, to solve this problem.
Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the USB drive connected, remove the entry with the exclamation mark next to it from Device Manager. Now remove the drive, reboot and try inserting the drive again.

Does this make any difference?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
raymac29

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: W2000 problems with USB Memory Stick Reply with quote

Thanks for your help
I Followed your instructions:
On rebooting a window stating “Found New Hardware” appeared, followed by window “Finished Installing New Device”. I rebooted the computer, for the changes to take effect. On inserting the USB drive I found the situation had exactly the same problematic symptoms as before, i.e. no change.
Ray McCallum
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do other flash drives work in this computer?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
raymac29

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I tried a different memory stick, and after the operating system recognised it and installed the drivers correctly, I rebooted. I got exactly the same problem symptoms as before.
I tried a digital camera multi card reader, and again got the problem symptoms.
I don’t get any problems when using a USB scanner.
It would appear that the problem occurs on anything USB that appears on Computer Management/Device Manager/Disk Drives
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, other than doing a clean install of the OS...
raymac29

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok
Thanks for your help
I will leave it there
urganda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is a bit old but... in the past, I have experienced the same kind of trouble after installing hacked drivers (i.e. drivers for other USB disk with changed VID and PID).

I had to do it because old non-standard drivers installed in my windows 2000 computer trashed all the plug-and-play support for USB drives (after the most recent formating of my w2000 pro installation, I discovered it has *actual* plug and play support for them now, which I couldn't enjoy before). Looking for the right .INF file and replacing it with a fresh one from the CAB files in windows CD should work in such case.

Also, if you were using a cable, I would suggest you to change the cable or disable the EHCI (=USB Enhanced Host) support. Some wrong-assembled cables (specially retractable ones) only support USB 1.1, but windows thinks they can manage usb 2.0, so you have to disable EHCI in the system\Hardware window.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: