Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what could the problem be !!!!!!!!!!!! pls help.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
drumro2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: what could the problem be !!!!!!!!!!!! pls help. Reply with quote

hi, i have a desktop that i always connect to the internet. i got a laptop now that i want to connect to the internet with the same internet account. anytime i connect the ethernet, on the toolbar the internet logo indicate that it is connected, but i cannot actually surf the net. i have complained to my service provider but unable to provide solution. in the control panel, the networking icon also indicate connection. the laptop used window vista home premium.... pls help. Embarassed
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is your service provider? And do you connect via a router or modem?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
drumro2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: what could the problem be !!!!!!!!!!!! pls help. Reply with quote

hi, my service provider is Virginmedia & I connect through a cable modem. thanx.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplug the modem from the power, and the computer for 1 minute. Then connect the power, wait for the lights on the front to settle down, then connect the ethernet cable to the computer.

Let me know if this sorts it.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
drumro2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i have tried your suggestion but the situation remain the same. still cannot surf the internet.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the laptop, go in to the network settings for the network connection you are using. Go in to TCP/IP Properties and set to Obtain IP Address Automatically.

Once done repeat my previous suggestion.
markblu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe your desktop computers MAC address is programmed to the provider. kind of like a sim card number on some phones. following what softstag said should work, try unplugging longer. your best bet would be to get a cheap router

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=28&name=Routers
drumro2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markblu wrote:
i believe your desktop computers MAC address is programmed to the provider. kind of like a sim card number on some phones. following what softstag said should work, try unplugging longer. your best bet would be to get a cheap router

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=28&name=Routers

thank you all guys. It's finally done. i follow all your suggestions one after the other but no changes. i got frustrated and about to shut down the laptop then i thought of deleting everythings i have done so far. as i deleted the internet connection set up it goes strraight unto the web.
thank you once again for all your assistants.....

thanks a lot.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Smile

{Topic Locked}
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: