Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What will be better, please?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
SvenKopitz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: What will be better, please? Reply with quote

Hi everybody! I'm very new at follow stuff, so please help me, if someone can!
There is a little network (37 computers) with 37 TB shared storage and not really a lot of money. What is the best way to optimize data transfer and to backup successfully?
Thank you for now!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really need to understand your setup and what you intend to use it for in order to advise.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Markb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not a huge network that is still a medium sized network, and 37TB is a lot of storage. I know you mention that money is tight, but unfortunately, backing up that kind of volume of data will require some serious investment. We would need know how it is stored, is it distributed on all the PCs or is it centralised. You may have 37Tb of space, but how much actual data and how much of it really needs to be backed up.

Are you sure you mean Terabytes and not Gigabytes.
SvenKopitz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got only PCs for now, with distributed data for about 10TB on'em and with total capacity of their HDDs for 30TB (I'm sorry the number in first post was wrong). We're ready to make investments, but I' looking for best solution for less money.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to put up with the limitations of shared drives on Windows systems, then you can simply share a portion of each drive for data storage and allow people to access them. Not an ideal situation, but it may be suitable for your use, and it won't cost anything as you already have the storage on the systems.

10Tb of storage is a huge amount, are you really sure you need this much space? Any type of NAS with any level of redundancy is going to cost a small fortune for this kind of capacity.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
SvenKopitz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAS? Why not SAN?
Markb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they cost more and from what you have said you are running a Personal Area Network and have very little money. Can you give more information regarding the type of data you want to back up. Video files, audio files, database files?
SvenKopitz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

File types are all that you've mentioned. Not little money, but not much. We want to have reliable solution for reasonable price.
Markb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in the market for enterprise storage. Perhaps an entry level SAN. Be prepared to pay in excess of 10,000. The HP MSA2312FC SC SAN START KIT is listed at over 8,500 inc VAT and that doesn't include any drives. I would recommend that you have a chat to an enterprise level hardware supplier, they will have a better knowledge of what is on the market at the moment than we will.
SvenKopitz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why hardware, not software?
Markb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think that we might be talking at cross purposes here, so I'll summerise to make sure that we are all working from the same place.

Our understanding is that you have a network with 37 PCs on it. You may or may not have some shared storage in terms of a file server, you don't mention though. These PC's all have about 1Tb of storage capacity. Distributed amongst these machines is about 10Tb worth of data.

You don't mention if everyone else needs to access the data as well or not.

You are looking for a backup solution. It is worth mentioning that there are essentially several types of backup. A redundancy backup which caters to preserving the data in the event of a hardware failure. Typically the entire data is backed up to a separate device regularly and each backup overwrites the previous one. And then there is a business continuity backup with typically will backup data to a removable device which is retained for a defined period. this type gives the added benefit of being able to restore previous versions of files in the event of accidental overwriting. You would also be able have some kind of hybrid, where you use incremental or differential backups to a single media which will allow you a limited window to get back to a certain point. This involves software in the solution.

If the data does not need to be shared around, the simplest way would be to buy an external backup drive for each PC, then script some kind of backup or use the OS backup facilities.

If you have a server and want to share the data as well as backing it up. Then I would suggest some kind of distributed file system that links to all the PC's and then all PC's link to the DFS. Thus all shares would be accessible under a single drive mapping. Backup would be as above.

For a SMB corporate grade solution, I would look to have the data centrally located on a NAS or entry level SAN that had some kind of RAID array for hardware redundancy. Along with a backup that utilised removable media with probably an incremental or differential backup regime.

The next stage up would be to look at the enterprise grade storage solutions from specific storage vendors such as Netapp. Great solutions, mega bucks though.

There are grades in between these, though they would have to look in more depth at the type of data, frequency of access, rate of change etc and then implement some kind of tiered storage solution. You most frequently accessed data would go onto the Tier 1 storage (Typically a file server with raid 5/6 array with fast access times but relatively low density storage devices for low latency.) The next would be the High density storage, large disks with higher access times. And so one down to off-line archive.

As hopefully you can appreciate now, there is no simple answer to what you are asking. it is all dependent on your needs for the data, it's access and of course budget.

I would suggest again as in my previous post, you need to talk to a hardware/solution provider to discuss your individual needs. If you are in the UK, I can recommend a firm.
SvenKopitz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. And what can you tell about suggestions here
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachingmgrhyperv/thread/03be08d4-3061-4151-b2f3-3898b72797b0/
???
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: