Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

when i boot my pc, nothing shows on the monitor

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
emaxwell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: when i boot my pc, nothing shows on the monitor Reply with quote

i have just finished building my first home built pc, but when i plug it into the monitor and boot the system up nothing happens.
i know its not the monitor because i hooked my laptop up to it and it worked fine.
these are my specs
asus p8z68-v pro mb
8gb of ddr3 corsair ram
corsair h60 water cooler
intel i7 2600k cpu
750 watt power supply
1tb samsing hard drive
lg optical drive

i did not buy a graphics card as i am planning on using the onboard graphics in the mb and cpu for the time being, could that be the problem, do i have to activate the onboard graphics although i dont see how i would do that without the bios
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"i have just finished building my first home built pc"

So, either something is faulty (or you've broken it), or you have not built it correctly, or something is incompatible

1) check the specs of the motherboard and make sure the memory and CPU are compatible. Especially check if a BIOS upgrade is required to enable compatibility

2) check that ALL cables are seated correctly. Is the 4-pin motherboard power cable attached? Is the main 24-pin block attached correctly? Do you have the USB/audio/firewire connectors seated correctly? Are the front panel switches and lights wired correctly? Are the leads for the cooling fans attached?

3) reseat memory, CPU and cooler. Make sure all are seated correctly

PS - a bit of advice
Dump the water cooler and get a simple fan. Water coolers leak, require regular top-ups and are a total pain in the ***
When they do lose fluid and require top-ups, getting rid of the airlocks from the system can become VERY time consuming. Besides which you have the risk of water/glycol dripping inside the PC
Liquid cooling may be fashionable, but it ain't practical

Last edited by JonS on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPS - I've not had god experiences with Corsair memory. I've never used their DDR3, but DDR / DDR2 both - in my experience - had more compatibility issues than other brands, even than cheap "no-name" sticks
emaxwell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i thought all ddr3 ram would work, do you know any websites where i can find if its compatible or not, also if it wasnt compatible would the dram led not be flashing,
also the pc sounds like its booting up, the optical drive and fans all work so i dont see what i could of installed wrong.
and one more thing, can you go into more detail about the bios suggestion as i have no idea about it lol

oh and one more thing, how do i knwo if something is faulty
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re compatibility of the RAM: - see http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PRO/#MSL

re the BIOS comment. Not all motherboards support all CPUs "out of the box". Some require a BIOS flash to make the board able to "see" the CPU. Board makers always have a table published somewhere on their website which tells you which board / CPU / BIOS combination will work
For this board the list is at http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PRO/#CPUS
and says you need BIOS revision 0221 or later

However I suggest you work on the basis that something has not been assembled correctly. Check that all the components are fitted correctly, check all the cables - and check those front panel connectors

You said this is your first build. You've picked an expensive set of parts to learn with. Its generally a good idea to practice first by learning how to take apart and rebuild a few old machines, which won't matter if they get wrecked in the process
emaxwell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so it says my cpu is compatible, that means the bios should be fine tight, however there doesnt seem to be a list of ram on that websitee? my ram is the corsair xms3 2times4gb
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at the bottom of the page I linked to

you can download a zip file which contains a "memory support list"

More importantly, have you checked that everything is fitted correctly / plugged in correctly, and that the front panel connectors are correctly placed?
Check everything. and then check everything again. Its most likely that something is not fitted or connected correctly, and its probably one of those leads

Just a further though - which video output are you using? VGA. DVI or HDMI?
emaxwell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok got it working, turns out i wasnt being forceful enough with the ram, thank for all your help mate
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: