Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where's my indy headphone volume on HP Compaq NX7400?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
imcoocoo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Where's my indy headphone volume on HP Compaq NX7400? Reply with quote

Just got the HP Compaq NX7400 as a recent birthday present.
It's an Intel core 2 duo T5600 at 1.83 GHz with about a gig of RAM.
Also features built-in wi-fi, yay, finally!
It has the SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio board.
The software claims it supports an independent headphone volume control, but i don't see the "Other" option listed in my mixer properties.
With the HP Compaq NC6000, i could edit the SMWDMCom.inf file and force HPWithMaster to "1,00" instead of "1,01" and get a fully separate headphone screen for the "Other" option to appear in the mixer.
But i don't get any luck like that when i do the same edit in the ADIHDAud.inf file for the SoundMax HD Audio driver from HP (SP37155).
Also took a look at the SoundMax HD control panel.
It claims that independent headphones are supported (meaning i can route sound to a pair of headphones or powered speakers as a separate audio device),
as well as an acoustic environment feature for applying digital effects to my foreground sounds and speech, but those options are strangely grayed out…
Just trying to figure out why supposedly supported options are forcefully grayed.
Also, had a look at the Media Categories under the CurrentControlSet in HKey_LocalMachine\System of my WinXP Service Pack 3 registry, but did not see anything of particular interest to me there.
It's kinda drivin' me coocoo not having the ability to change a separate headphone volume or apply effects like reverb to my sound in real-time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with HD audio the options usually are greyed out until you actually plug something into the socket. You can only adjust whats actually there
If you plug in the headphones, do the options then become available?
imcoocoo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Where's my indy headphone volume on HP Compaq NX7400? Reply with quote

just tried plugging headphones in to the headphones slot on laptop and going to the SoundMax control panel;
crud, Not a single new option becomes available at all on the General tab of the panel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about in the normal Windows controls rather than the SoundMax one?

And does this machine have a volume control wheel next to the ports?
imcoocoo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JonS"]what about in the normal Windows controls rather than the SoundMax one?
And does this machine have a volume control wheel next to the ports?[/quote]
As to Windows audio controls, nothing special.
No volume wheel on this laptop; only digital buttons on top (almost right front under the screen) for Mute, Volume Down, and Volume Up.
But that only affects the Master output to the built-in speakers, not the separate headphones pin.
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you right-click the windows sound volume icon in the system tray (not the Soundmax one) and select "open volume control" you should get a mixer panel with various sliders for output volume
For instance on my Toshiba laptop with Realtek HD I get offered the following
Master volume
Wave
SW Synth
Mic Volume
CD Volume
Line Volume
PC Beep
However to see ALL of these I have to use the "options" drop down menu and go to "properties" and ensure all are ticked
have you got anything similar?
imcoocoo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Indy Headphones volume Reply with quote

[quote="JonS"]
However to see ALL of these I have to use the "options" drop down menu and go to "properties" and ensure all are ticked
have you got anything similar?[/quote]
For playback, i have:
Master volume
Wave
SW Synth
CD
Microphone
Line-In
For recording, I have:
Stereo mix
Microphone
Line-In
Those are my only two sets of properties.
If this was the HP NC6000, there would've been a "Other" option where "Headphones" or "Headset" was available as a volume control.
The Master Volume control got replaced with the "Headphones" control in this screen.
Everything else was just like the Playback screen.
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I don't know. My only guess is that the machine has been reloaded at some point with generic sound drivers, and not the originals which - may - have been optimised to do what you want.
Beyond that, without seeing the machine then I'm out of ideas
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: