Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why does my computer freeze?!?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
jc7885

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Why does my computer freeze?!? Reply with quote

Can anyone help with my latest conundrum? here's the situation:

I left an application open and put my computer on standby. What i forgot was that i also swtiched off my mains and ran down the battery. Didn't realise this when i tried to use my computer again and it shutdown on me.

Since then, I can't use my computer with the battery connected as all the controls freeze - it loads up to the login window but i can't typ or use the pad..... also, even when the computer is off, the power light is on, either with the mains plugged in or with the battery.

Even more weirdly, Mozilla keeps crashing and i can't use adobe reader- every time i try to download a pdf the browser just freezes. I've done smoe basic checks - using adaware and my AVG scanner detected trojan horse threats twice.

Anyone got an idea where to start??
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Why does my computer freeze?!? Reply with quote

jc7885 wrote:
Can anyone help with my latest conundrum? here's the situation:

I left an application open and put my computer on standby. What i forgot was that i also swtiched off my mains and ran down the battery. Didn't realise this when i tried to use my computer again and it shutdown on me.

Since then, I can't use my computer with the battery connected as all the controls freeze - it loads up to the login window but i can't typ or use the pad..... also, even when the computer is off, the power light is on, either with the mains plugged in or with the battery.

Even more weirdly, Mozilla keeps crashing and i can't use adobe reader- every time i try to download a pdf the browser just freezes. I've done smoe basic checks - using adaware and my AVG scanner detected trojan horse threats twice.

Anyone got an idea where to start??

First thing I would do is remove the battery for a few seconds and try restarting again. If that doesn't work I would then try booting in safe mode and see if that cures the problems. If it works OK in safe mode then you know the problem is with some other service not required in safe mode - network services etc.

Then look at the system and application event logs and see if any system services are generating errors. If they are then you could try running a windows repair. That will copy the original windows system files back only leaving the registry and profile settings in place. You won't lose any data.

If that doesn't work then it might be worth removing any applications you installed immediately prior to the problem occuring if you did install anything.

If the problem is still occurring then it is likely to be some sort of registry corruption. I assume you didn't take a system state backup recently? If you did then you can restore and that should solve the problem. If not then you can try searching for your problem on the web and see if anyone fixed it with a registry change. To be honest though, this is a long shot as the chances of finding the key in the registry with the wrong value is pretty small.

If all that fails then get all your data off of the machine and onto a big flash card or external drive before reinstalling windows. Try leaving file system intact the first time and it'll save you losing all your data (you will still lose stuff in 'documents and settings'). That should work unless there is some sort of problem in the boot region or allocations tables of the disk which is unlikely.
jc7885

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

I tried removing the battery and mains lead before replacing and restarting. This still had the same effect of my controls being 'frozen' when the battery is in.

With regards to the logs, would i be right in saying that I should use Hijackthis to generate the report? softstag recommended this before for an error which cropped up. What I do get also is error reports of missing files for Norton internet security when the computer runs through a disk check during startup. Also, I get a logon message of 'ddcdefg-ddcdefg.dll file missing' - don't know how to fix this - only thought is that it's related to Norton so I've contemplated uninstalling it.

don't know if the report is any use but here it is anyway:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 13:53:42, on 31/12/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16762)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
c:\program files\common files\logitech\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\TV\CLCapSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\CLML_NTService\CLMLServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\CLML_NTService\CLMLService.exe
C:\Program Files\Kontiki\KService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\eDSloader.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\ePower_DMC.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\Monitor.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\LAUNCH~1\QtZgAcer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Acer\OrbiCam\CameraAssistant.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ElkCtrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\TV\CLSched.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X5100 Series\lxbabmgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X5100 Series\lxbabmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Kontiki\KHost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\Program Files\SAGEM\SAGEM F@st 800-840\dslmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.tiscali.co.uk/broadband
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.tiscali.co.uk/broadband
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.tiscali.co.uk/broadband
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R3 - URLSearchHook: BitZipperSearch Toolbar - {97bceb59-cfcd-4b16-a863-b3f72cf9f196} - C:\Program Files\BitZipperSearch\tbBit1.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: BitZipperSearch Toolbar - {97bceb59-cfcd-4b16-a863-b3f72cf9f196} - C:\Program Files\BitZipperSearch\tbBit1.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {A8F38D8D-E480-4D52-B7A2-731BB6995FDD} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BAF24897-B57F-4A2E-BAAB-1ECF0701A135} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vtstt.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security 2006 - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {C4069E3A-68F1-403E-B40E-20066696354B} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: BitZipperSearch Toolbar - {97bceb59-cfcd-4b16-a863-b3f72cf9f196} - C:\Program Files\BitZipperSearch\tbBit1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LaunchApp] Alaunch
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime -Delay
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eDataSecurity Loader] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\eDSloader.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ePower_DMC] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\ePower_DMC.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acer ePower Management] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\Acer ePower Management.exe boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LManager] C:\PROGRA~1\LAUNCH~1\QtZgAcer.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eRecoveryService] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\Monitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCameraAssistant] C:\Program Files\Acer\OrbiCam\CameraAssistant.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideo[inspector]] C:\Program Files\Acer\OrbiCam\InstallHelper.exe /inspect
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechCameraService(E)] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ElkCtrl.exe /automation
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [adiras] adiras.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X5100 Series] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X5100 Series\lxbabmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [kdx] "C:\Program Files\Kontiki\KHost.exe" -all
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [kdx] C:\Program Files\Kontiki\KHost.exe -all
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: DSLMON.lnk = C:\Program Files\SAGEM\SAGEM F@st 800-840\dslmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Sample Toolband Serach - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\ToolBand.dll/MENUSEARCH.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send to &Bluetooth Device... - c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {CF40ACC5-E1BB-4AFF-AC72-04C2F616BCA7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/nos/gp.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{8FA8684A-77FE-4E25-B18D-7E3D11079CAB}: NameServer = 212.139.132.56 212.139.132.57
O20 - Winlogon Notify: ddcdefg - ddcdefg.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - c:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Internet Security Password Validation (ccISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Background Capture Service (CBCS) (CLCapSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\TV\CLCapSvc.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Task Scheduler (CTS) (CLSched) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\TV\CLSched.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Media Library Service - Cyberlink - C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer Arcade\Kernel\CLML_NTService\CLMLServer.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: KService - Kontiki Inc. - C:\Program Files\Kontiki\KService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Logitech Process Monitor (LVPrcSrv) - Logitech - c:\program files\common files\logitech\lvmvfm\LVPrcSrv.exe
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AVScan (SAVScan) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage Back-End Service - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SsBeSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SoundMovieServer - SoundMovieServer - C:\WINDOWS\system32\snmvtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

--
End of file - 15843 bytes
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The event logs I was referring to are part of windows. Click Start | Run and type 'mmc' and hit return. This opens the Microsoft Management Console. Then on the 'Console' menu choose 'Add/Remove Snap-In. Click 'Add' and then choose 'Event Viewer'. Click 'Finish' and 'OK' and you will see the event logs in the left hand pane of the console.

If you click on the items in the left pane the right pane will display the log entries. Look for Red or Yellow items which are the errors and warnings. You will often find clues as to where the problem lies.

Good luck.
jc7885

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all the advice. I'll try and work through the options and let u know how i get on if that's o.k.
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to finding out how you get on.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: