Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Won't Flash Drives Work On My Windows 98SE Computer?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
HeyMan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Why Won't Flash Drives Work On My Windows 98SE Computer? Reply with quote

I hope someone can help me. I have purchased two flash drives from different companies (Sandisk and PNY) and downloaded the Windows 98SE drivers from their websites, but my computer still won't recognize them. The first one just wouldn't install and the second one caused my Compaq computer to have the blue screen of death.

These companies say that the flash drives work with Windows 98SE, but it's not working for me. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? Is this a common occurance? Will the generic driver on this site help with this?

Short of transfering files on a floppy (because I don't have a CD burner), is there anything else that I can use to transfer files from my Windows 98SE to XP. Cable? External hard drive (which also needs a driver)? Or am I just going to have the same problem.

I would greatly appreciate if someone can help me with this.

Thank you.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your problem is more related to the USB controller drivers than the drivers for the flash drives themselves. I would recommend seeing if you can download the latest drivers for the USB controllers (often included in the chipset drivers) and installing those. You can try the Generic Windows 98SE USB Mass Storage Drivers, but I don't think it will make any difference, but it shouldn't do any harm.

If both your PCs have network cables then you can transfer via a cross over network cable. If you have a lot of data to transfer, this will be the quickest method and the cables are relatively cheap.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: