Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wifi security
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Wifi security Reply with quote

How do I ensure my data is less vulnerable when accessing Wifi in public places?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn of filesharing, and enable a firewall on the PC.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Markb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to the data on your Machine or the data being transmitted over the WiFi connection?
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I ensure that the both the data on the machine and those being transmitted are safe?

I've got a firewall running and file sharing has always been turned off
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Data on your system should be safe. However it is not possible to guarantee the security of data passed over an unsecured wi-fi connection.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How may ensure that data transmitted over an unsecured wifi connection is safe?
Markb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a domestic WiFi system you would set up encryption, however on a public hotspot this isn't an option and by definition of being public, it is unencrypted. Remember, that the internet itself is not secure. Data sent over the internet that is unencrypted and can be intercepted. Your best defense is to be vigilant about what you are doing on-line. Make sure that any sites that you are entering personal details in are secure. These would typically have https:// in the address bar instead of http:// You will also see a padlock symbol (Bottom right in Firefox. To the right of the address bar in IE) check the certificate issued by clicking on the padlock. Make sure that it is properly signed. Your browser should let you know if it doesn't match the site though. If you are working at public hotspots and your employer has a VPN connection to your corporate network, use it. This creates a secure tunnel between your PC and your work network.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything else I could do to increase the security? say, encryption?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The network needs to be encrypted. If it is an unsecured network, then there is no encryption, and if you don't control the network you have no control over the encryption. If you enabled encryption you would not be able to connect to the network as other devices would not understand the data you are sending.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, how vulnerable am I when connecting to an unsecured wifi hotspot?

Could people be viewing what I am viewing on my screen or log in to my email acount when I have selcted "log me on automatically everytime" setting?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. People can intercept the data being transmitted over the connection. They can't see your screen, or access your data. If you are using a secure website for webmail for example, then all the data is encrypted and intercepted data will be meaningless. If though you posted on this website, it might be possible for someone to see what you posted.

So long as you only perform sensitive actions over servers where the URL starts with https you shouldn't have anything to really worry about.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How easy is it to intercept the data being transmitted over the connection?
is a wifi connection more vulnerable than a regular phone line internet connection in that way?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: