Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win 95 USB mass storage drivers

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
addisonr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Win 95 USB mass storage drivers Reply with quote

Seriously. I have a customer with a Windows 95 computer. It has a CD reader-not-burner, and no network card. I'm about to move their program to a Windows XP box and upgrade it. Problem is reading the old program/data directory from the Windows 95 computer onto something the XP box can then read.

I have other possible solutions (if I can find a serial, parallel, or USB-USB cable and they'll communicate, or take out the old hard drive and plug it into my IDE-USB adapter), but I think the simplest would be to get a Windows 95 driver for one of my flash drives. I have a Kingston 4Gb DataTraveler, and a Memorex 1Gb TravelDrive. Generic driver would be fine.

Thanks in advance.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not get flash drives to work on Windows 95, it's support for USB is so limited it isn't going to work. AFAIK there are no Windows 95 USB Mass Storage Drivers available.

Your best option would be to put a cheap PCI (or even ISA if it's that old) network card in the system and connect it to the XP PC via ethernet, or as you say remove the hard drive and insert it in to the XP machine.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
demdike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would be easier just to boot the machine with a live CD - e.g. Knoppix or VistaPE and use that to copy the files to a USB drive
No need to open the box and fit new parts that way
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: