Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win 98, FE or SE USB Drivers needed?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sylvester

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Win 98, FE or SE USB Drivers needed? Reply with quote

I want to install the usb drivers, for Windows 98, from your site. The instructions say to check my version of Windows 98(First edition/Second edition). I have always believed I am running Windows 98 with service pack 1. It came installed on my system along with the Microsoft CD. I once reinstalled it, from the original CD years later, over top of itself. Service pack 1 is listed in my Add/Remove Programs list.

This is where I am confused. When I right click on my computer and select properties, the ensuing System Properties box (general tab) shows…
System:
Microsoft Windows 98
4.10.2222 (with no extension letters at the end as in your example).
When I start "System Information" from Start menu/Programs/Accessories/System Tools, it shows…
Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
Upgrade using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININSTO.400 /ScrDir=D:\WIN98 /IZ /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Which USB driver from your site do I need?
Based on my initial belief, I had installed the one for First Edition and my new flash drive device worked (it offers no support/drivers for Win98). My older flash drive and media card reader, which have Win98 drivers and which are installed, also still worked (however, they never had a safe removal tool in the system tray on Win98 and still don't). After learning of my System Properties 4.10.2222 entry, I got nervous and restored a previous Registry backup file.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you are running Second Edition, possibly upgraded from a previously installed First Edition.

Try installing the SE drivers, if it says you have the incorrect version of Windows, then try the FE drivers.

I recommend you backup before installing the drivers, just in case.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
sylvester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I haven't tried the SE version yet.

This Windows version situation looks a little strange. Is it possible my OEM disk supplied with my system was probably not the one the system builder used for the install and perhaps mine was about the last upgraded OEM before Second Edition was put out and that is why my System Properties shows Microsoft Windows 98 (does not say Second Edition like your sample), 4.10.2222, *****-OEM-*******-***** and also why my System Information shows 4.10.1998 "Upgrade using full OEM CD". (big breath here).

I found "How to Determine the Version of Windows 95/98/Me in use" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158238/en-us
See the table and the first note. All my files have 5/11/98 dates.

I found "Description of Windows 98 Second Edition" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234762/EN-US
The note in the Summary section says "NOTE: To determine if Windows 98 Second Edition is installed on your computer, right-click My Computer, click Properties, and then view the contents of the General tab. If the words "Second Edition" are visible, Windows 98 Second Edition is already installed."

Just wondering what you think now, since the FE download seemed to work when I tried it? Also I didn't remove previously installed dirvers for another flash drive and a card reader, is that imperative, they still worked fine?

Sorry for the book but I hate missing details.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the dates of the files, it looks like it is probable FE. Also if the FE drivers work, then it should be OK with these.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
sylvester

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Before installing nusb32FE drivers Reply with quote

Thanks goes to softstag for his previous reply.

I have a flash drive and card reader that offer 98 drivers, which I have installed. I only plug one in at a time and only when needed and they work fine. They don't offer the safe removal tool in sys tray. They don't show up in Device Manager unless they are plugged in. The card reader shows up in the Add/Remove Programs list.

I now have a new flash drive that doesn't offer 98 drivers. The nusb32 FE driver install instructions say to remove all drivers for USB FLASH DRIVES in Device Manager. So what do I have to uninstall before trying the new generic drivers? AND Are they removeable?
PaulWin98SE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Flash drives safe removal in Windows 98(SE) Reply with quote

Long before I installed the universal driver set, I have been using some flash drives with my system. At no time has it ever given me a "safe removal" on the system tray. I simply closed any windows showing access. And just unplug the drives. I know in XP one needs do the safe removal.

[The only risk of an unsafe removal is if you are running any kind of software which would randomly access such a drive. Such as what an anti virus probram which could in theory do. My system has no such programs running. If I were, I would only remove a flash drive after a shutdown or in sleep mode (stand by).]
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is only really advisable to remove any previously installed drivers. It may not be necessary. If no uninstall option is available, then it will be very difficult to remove previously installed drivers fully.

With the device plugged in, you can highlight it and remove it from Device Manager, however that will probably not remove the drivers properly.
sylvester

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys;

I mentioned at the start of this thread that I installed the FE drivers, got nervous and restored registry.

Well, as it turns out I never actually restored my registry because I didn't do it correctly. I only double clicked on a .reg file I did not use the scanreg /restore command (I'm learning, sloooowly). I suppose this wouldn't have necessarily removed them anyway.

So, this means the FE drivers were installed along with my older ones all along. Everything seems to be working fine. The only change to the older devices is that the card reader now offers the safe removal tool when connected.

I guess I got lucky and used one of my 9 lives. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Sylvester
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: