Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win98 nusb23e error

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Alaric

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Win98 nusb23e error Reply with quote

Hi....tried unpacking nusb23e on a Win98 box and received the following MessageBox 'The Native USB disk driver for Win98SE ver2.3 package is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running. ...On the website, this driver was described as being Win98/98SE compatible. Is it not? Where is the driver for vanilla Win98?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This driver will require Windows 98 SE to work. If you are on the original version of Win 98 then unfortunately this will not work, and as far as I am aware, there is no such driver that will work.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
steveM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: WIN98 original again Reply with quote

I just bought a packard bell store and save 3500 USB disk for my win98 box. I actually thought I had win98SE but when I tried to install the drive I realised it was original WIN98 and nothing Ive tried will work.

I cannot upgrade to XP due to blocking problems with a Highpoint 366 DMA controller, and I cannot find anywhere that sells an upgrade from WIN98 to WIN98SE.

Any ideas how I can find the upgrade? is it maybe downloadable from anywhere? Or is there some other way I can get this drive attached and working.
Walt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: And win98 SE, too Reply with quote

Yep, the good news is it doesn't work for WIN 98SE, either.

Downloaded to desktop, doubleclicked the icon and got first a message about can'd find some unnamed resource, and then when I did it again, a message about "The "package is not compatible with the version of windows that you are running." The quotes in front of the word package are in the message.

Beach me.

Walt
Walt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: But if you download a good file ... Reply with quote

nusb32e installs a WHOLE lot better. The first file I downloaded shows up as 65k, the real one as 648k. I can only imagine that my wind-up ISP decided to dump my connection on the first load and the software ran far enough to give an (irrelevant) error message. Weird -- NEVER had that happen before.

For WIN 98 (non-SE) I would look on ebay and elsewhere for an install disk for WIN98. That's where mine came from. The problem with the initial release is it has no support for USB, so USB devices (flash drives ...) are really not possible. But as with everything else in the operating system world, quite a bit of other stuff got fixed too.

Walt
steveM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange thing is, my win98 original DOES work with USB, and can read SD and CompactFlash cards from the card reader built into my HP8150 printer, so it looks like im half way to SE but not quite there??

Im currently bidding on ME on ebay to get me out of the situation I hope. Maybe if I can get all my data off the 98 pc i can upgrade to something more modern.

ps - I do have the installation disk for my original 98 , just not SE.
Walt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>Strange thing is, my win98 original DOES work with USB, and can read SD and CompactFlash cards from the card reader built into my HP8150 printer, so it looks like im half way to SE but not quite there?? <<

There was an update to the original WIN98 that added USB support; presumably you have that. Some products requiring USB support make reference to that, some do not.

Meanwhile ... I have a USB card working on my IBM TP600X notebook, nusb32E is installed, when I brought up windows again it discovered all the new hardware, and I can READ the files supplied on the SanDisk Cruzer micro flash drive and even run the executables. It appears as a CD ROM, drive G. Unfortunately, this 512 MB card appears to have only a bit over 5 MB of capacity and I cannot copy any new files to it.

Since discovering that, I have taken the flash drive to a WIN XP machine, plugged it in, and copyed boodles of files onto it. When I brought it back, the situation under WIN 98 was the same -- the added files were invisible and the disk wouldn't accept any new files.

So it isn't quite true that a U3 (smart USB flash device) will perform as any USB flash drive if you don't have an OS that allows the U3 features. Or it could be that the different XP file system is the problem ... hummm ...

I'll do some more Googling; this too is bound to be a problem that someone else has had. However I'm beginning to think that keeping this device depends on whether or not my wife needs it.

I cringe when I think of returning items like this for which you have to destroy the packaging to open the thing you bought, but that's Wal-Mart's policy; if they want them back in decent original packing they need friendlier packing.

Walt
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: