Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win98 USB problem

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Craig

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Win98 USB problem Reply with quote

G'day People,

Little problem with a Win 98 box and it's USB ports. 2 of them there are and one is used for this modem. T'other was until recently only used for a Canon printer. The along came Christmas and a MP3 player was purchased and installed by myself. Printer USB cable was pulled out of computer and MP3 player was plugged in. Followed manufacturers instructions and installed software as instructed. All went well and MP3's were duly placed onto player and much music was listened to on bus.

Until the next time printing was attempted. Plug cable printer back in, turn computer on, try to print. No print. No worries I said to myself, reinstall printer drivers, all fixed. No. Not fixed. Wont print at all. The error message it comes up with is that the computer can't communicate with the printer. I've tried deleting printer and reinstalling from scratch. Exactly the same response every time. Can't communicate with printer. Can't find anything on the web about this so I thought I would ask you good people.

All help gratefully appreciated,
Craig
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the following:
Arrow Disconnect the printer from the computer.
Arrow Uninstall the printer from Add/remove programs
Arrow Start the computer in Safe Mode (reboot, immediately start tapping the F8 key until you get a menu, select Safe Mode using the cursor keys and hit Enter)
Arrow Go in to Device Manager
Arrow Look for a section called Other Devices and remove anything from there (if it exists)
Arrow In the Universal Serial Bus Controller section remove anything relating to USB Printer Support, or anything mentioning Canon
Arrow Shut down and restart the computer as normal
Arrow Follow the manufacturer's instructions for installing the printer (usually install the software before connecting the printer)

Let us know how you get on with this.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Craig

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day SoftStag,

Thank you for the help mate but unfortunately it didn't work. Followed your suggestions to the letter but the setup program doesn't detect the printer properly. As you guessed, the setup program wants to install files first and then have me connect the printer to detect the port it is attached to. Well it gets as far as this and then when I attach the printer Windows recognises a device has been connected but cannot determine what type of device it is so installs software for an unknown device. Printer setup program never gets any further than this and when I try a manual selection of the port, the USB port I want to connect to is not in the list of available ports. After exiting from this setup program, Device Manager is showing an unknown device in the list of USB devices. Tried removing this in safe mode but several attempts have proved no more successful.

Unless anyone has any more suggestions I may have to rebuild the thing. Don't want to unless I have to but the boss (wife Smile) needs the printer.

Again, thanks for the help mate and any further suggestions would be a great help.

Craig
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you are saying, the printer detects as an Unknown Device with the driver installed. If that is the case, then it suggests that the printer may be faulty. Double check that the drivers you are installing are the correct ones for the printer, if so, try the following:
Arrow Go in to Device Manager
Arrow Remove the Unknown Device
Arrow Click on Refresh

The computer should now search for devices and find the printer. If you are lucky it will install it correctly, however I fear it may not recognise it, in which case I suspect it is a faulty printer (or possibly, but not very likely, a faulty USB cable). Try checking the printer on another PC if possible.

Another possibility is to try installing the printer with the modem disconnected, and see if that works. It is possible that the 2 devices combined require too much power for the PC to accommodate.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: