Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WIN98SE and Insignia MP3 (in)compatibility

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Kate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: WIN98SE and Insignia MP3 (in)compatibility Reply with quote

Hello,
I just bought an Insignia Sport 1GB MP3 player. The package says that WIN98 or higher is needed to support the software. I have WIN98SE. Before purchasing the player, I asked the salesperson if my OS would support this player. The answer was yes.

However Confused when I attempted to install the software I received the message, "Unsupported Operating System Version" and "Rhapsody requires newer version".

I called tech support at Insignia and was told I need to download the driver. However, when I attempted to open the downloaded driver, I received another message telling me that the system doesn't support it.

Tech support directed me to the Best Buy Geek Squad, who wanted to charge me $50.00 for help. My player only cost $59.99!

Do I need a newer OS and should I return this MP3 player? Or, is there something I can do?

I will say this...during the process I was instructed to "remove drivers from the USB port". Did that mean simply pull the cable out of the USB port on the tower? If it meant something else, then I didn't do it and maybe that is the problem?

Thanks so much for any suggestions Very Happy

SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have Windows 98SE, then you should be able to install the drivers from here:
Windows 98SE Mass Storage Drivers

If these drivers are giving you a message that tells you your version of Windows is incompatible, then right click on My Computer and select Properties - this will tell you what version of Windows you are using.

Kate wrote:
Do I need a newer OS and should I return this MP3 player? Or, is there something I can do?

Don't return it yet, we'll probably get it working, if not return it - they should give you a full refund if you can't use it when they said you could.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Kate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Thanks so much for your reply. Oddly, it downloaded this time. However, I haven't gone through the installation process because I don't know what all this means:

Remove ALL drivers for USB flash drives in Device Manager
Remove ALL drivers for any USB 2.0 controllers (many have an uninstall option)
Remove ALL unknown devices from Device Manager

Could you (or someone) walk me through this?
Thank you Very Happy
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Ideally this should be done in Safe Mode. Then get in to Device Manager. To do this, do the following:

Arrow Right click My Computer
Arrow Select Properties
Arrow Click on the Device Manager tab at the top

Once here you will be presented with a list of sections with a + next to them.

Kate wrote:
Remove ALL drivers for USB flash drives in Device Manager

If you have never used a USB flash drive or similar, then you don't need to worry about this. If so, then check the Disk Drive section to see if anything relates to it shows, if so remove it.

Kate wrote:
Remove ALL drivers for any USB 2.0 controllers (many have an uninstall option)

OK, this depends on whether your PC supports USB 2.0 or not. If it is old, then probably not. Usually these drivers would have an uninstall option, check Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and uninstall anything relating to USB2.0.

Kate wrote:
Remove ALL unknown devices from Device Manager

If there is a section in Device Manager called Unknown Devices open the section by clicking on the + then remove each entry.

Once done, return to normal mode and install the nusb drivers.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Kate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Softstag,

Okay, I did everything you suggested. I never used a flash drive so I skipped that part.

I went to the control panel but wasn't sure what I would need to uninstall. I don't know what is considered USB 2.0 related.

I attempted to install the software, anyway, and I received the same message, that the software isn't supported by my operating system.

I packaged up the MP3 Player, figuring my system is just too old.
I'm thinking about buying a new tower, anyway, so maybe that is best. What do you think?

If you think a new tower is best do you have recommendations for brand/OS/amount of memory (for simple home use)? I hear horrible things about WIN Vista. Should I try to get XP Home edition?
street1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan to buy a computer look around some are offering XP.

ReadThis
The Forum King.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your PC a Compaq by any chance? Can you let me know what make/model of PC you have?

Buying a new PC is one way to solve the problem, although it appears a little extreme! There is nothing wrong with Vista, however some hardware may not have drivers available to make it work. Check any hardware will work (ie. printers, scanners, modems etc.) by visiting the manufacturer's websites and checking for Vista drivers. Do the same for XP as there are plenty of devices that work just fine in 98 that are not supported by XP. As time goes by support for Vista is increasing. Also, the security holes are being plugged.

Personally I prefer XP, but that's probably because I'm more used to it. However, if I were in your position, I'd probably get Vista on a new PC as it will give better future proofing.
Kate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,

Sorry for the confusion. Confused Buying a new computer is a separate issue from the non-working MP3.

I had been thinking about buying a new CPU before I even bought an MP3. And I thought about it because WIN98 is obsolete (basically), I have little memory - even after adding some - and my computer crashes alot with DSL (due to WIN98SE).

Then, when the MP3 wouldn't work, even after downloading drivers, I just figured, "Eh! Time for a new computer so I can use everyday stuff again".

SoftStag, my computer is a Gateway Intel Celeron. I already returned the MP3 but if you have some suggestion that might help, I'll try it.

Now, regarding a new computer, overall it seems people prefer XP over Vista. So, I think I'll try to get that. I might just do a phone order with Gateway and "build my own" computer. That is what I did 9 years ago when I bought the one I have now.

The reason I'm not just buying XP or Vista is because I don't think my system can support it i.e. memory and it's so expensive. I figure I can buy an entire CPU for nearly the same cost of the OS program.

[
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing more I can think of at the moment.

People do generally prefer XP over Vista, but I think this is more a case of "better the devil you know". Had you been in a position to by Me or 98SE with the PC you have now, you'd not be having these problems with the MP3 player on Me. And Me was hated when it came out! I would go for Vista on a new PC, this is the operating system of today and tomorrow, don't get caught out in the future because XP will stop being supported long before Vista.
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I heard some bad things too. I have a couple of friends that have got Vista on new computers and they like it. It looks pretty cool. Although one of them had trouble getting his internet connection to work because there were no drivers for his Speedtouch ADSL Modem, but he managed to get some beta ones before the full release and got it working. I'd deffo go for Vista over XP! Mr. Green
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: