Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win98SE USB disk appears in Device Mangr; not in My Computer

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Win98SE_2010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Win98SE USB disk appears in Device Mangr; not in My Computer Reply with quote

I installed the Windows 98SE USB drivers. Upon reboot Windows recognised my USB drive without any problem. I can see the USB drive listed in Device Manager, but nothing appears in My Computer.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the drive work in another computer. It sounds like it either has no partition on it, or it is formatted with a file system Win 98 does not support, like NTFS.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Win98SE_2010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Win98SE USB disk appears in Device Mangr; not in My Computer Reply with quote

Hello, thank you for responding. Yes, I've tried using 3 different external USB drives that work fine on other computers. When I plug them in to my Win98SE machine it recognises that a USB device is present and then goes through the process of installing the USB driver. As I click through each Windows dialog box to install the driver I even see the name of the USB drive shown in one of the dialog boxes.

I don't mind if I need to reformat one of my external USB drives to make it work with Win98SE, but how do I go about doing this? When I view the USB drive in Device Manager there doesn't seem to be an option for reformatting the drive.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need to delete the partition on the drive and create a FAT32 partition, and format that. Windows 98 has no GUI tool for deleting and creating partitions. It is easiest to do this in Windows XP's Disk Management tool if you can.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Markb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not afraid of the command line, look up Fdisk and use that (built in to windows)
andrew4096

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markb wrote:
If you're not afraid of the command line, look up Fdisk and use that (built in to windows)

The FDISK utility that comes with Windows is dangerous -- any version. It performs destructive changes to the partition table, which is fine for initial setup of a drive before installing an operating system. If one needs to change the format of a partition in Windows 98 from FAT16 to FAT32, there is a utility included with Windows 98 called Drive Converter. It resides in the Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools section of the Start Menu. The FAT32 conversion with Drive Converter is one-time and one-way; once done, you can't undo it.

On the other hand, if you need to move partitions, there are commercial tools, such as System Commander or Partition Commander from V Communications, Inc., and a number of others. Many work with a graphical interface, much easier to use than a text-only interface. Most of them operate under some version of DOS and are started outside of Windows. They allow partitions to be resized while safely moving files as needed, as well as conversion of partitions from one file system to another.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: