Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 7 Drivers

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Scouse722

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Windows 7 Drivers Reply with quote

We have just installed Windows 7 Ultimate on a computer which previously had Vista.
The Microsoft upgrade advisor recommended a new driver for a Netgear
WG111v2 Wireless USB adaptor.

We have been to the Netgear Website and downloaded the recommended file. WN111v2-3.0 setup.exe.

This comes with a help file which requires the device to be removed, run the software and follow the instructions. It then requires the adaptor to be re-inserted and then it searches for the device.

It does not find it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check Device Manager for any problem devices. It could be it was installed with non-working drivers and is stuck with these. If so, delete the entry from Device Manager and remove and reinsert the USB adapter. Windows should then redetect the device and use the correct drivers.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Scouse722

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Softstag for your reply. Have managed to fix the problem. The recommended driver by Netgear is not correct.

There a lot of people out there with the same problem looking for this driver.

The correct driver can be obtained from the Netgear website.

It does not say that it is aWindows 7 driver but it works fine.

It is WN111v2_3_4_0
pkaway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Netgear wN111v2 driver Reply with quote

Hey to all,
I just purchased the WN111v2 Netgear USB adapter and the Win7 download driver they offer is not downloading from the Netgear site.
I believe you discovered an alternative driver that works = Wn111 V2_3_4_0 ...but I cannot find it on Netgear. ???

Can you post the url or a more specific reference for this driver? Thanks in advance!

Rock on,
PK
demdike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I just found the file which Netgear says is the correct one for the WN111v2 without any problems and it took me 15 seconds to download
no problems at all

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12656
This is the WN111v2 Software Version 3.0
NOT The supposed V4 referred to above

It has 32 and 64-bit Win7 support
I have used this file in the past AND IT WORKS
I've had no problems installing them at all. I believe Scouse722's problem was due to something else on his machine
Only problem I've seen with the Netgear WN111 is that
(1) they're not very powereful
(2) my experience is that they have a higher failure rate than other adaptors

PS if you search the Netgear site for WN111v2_3_4_0 you get a total blank
If you google for WN111v2_3_4_0, then this forum is the only hit. I don't believe the file exists, though I'll be happy to be proved wrong

Last edited by demdike on Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Scouse722

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. Last reply on this subject from me.

First in answer to Demdike, it was not for my computer.
It was for a friends new computer with a brand new install of Win7 32 bit Ultimate. I checked the Australian Website for a driver and even downloaded one which was marked Win7. No Good.

What is worse, the Netgear device was supplied by the biggest ISP in Australia, Telstra, whor refused to give any assistance.

The computer owner has everything with Telstra, cable TV, phone, broadband. When they were contacted they said "We do not support Win7 yet".

Could not get any sense from the Netgear web site but eventually found a file, which from its number was the latest driver. No mention of what it was for. Downloaded it and it worked fine.

Yesterday contacted another subscriber to this site who also could not find the file. He sent me his email address and he now has the file.

Somehow I don't think I will be buying anything from Netgear
demdike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just realised whats gone wrong here
Scouse 722 said he was using a WG111v2 wireless dongle, but was trying to install the drivers for the newer WN111v2 device
The two are different and the drivers are not compatible. I missed that on my first reading of his post

Just to clarify things
the latest WG111v2 drivers are at http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/715 AND DO NOT SUPPORT Win7
the latest WN111v2 drivers are at http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12656 These DO support Win7 - but only for the WN111v2, not the WG111v2

further checking the Netgear website shows the later WG111v3 IS compatible with Windows 7, but the WG111v2 is not

Presumably Scouse found some kind of hidden beta driver - in which case it would be helpful if he could post a link to it so others can find it
demdike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little more digging reveals there is a WG111v2_3_4_0 driver (NOT WN111v2_3_4_0) , which for some reason is not linked to from the main page of the WG111v2 support
Its at http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/713

I can only assume this is the driver Scouse downloaded
Netgear do NOT say its for Winidows 7, but a number of web forums suggest it seems to work for some people

I think Scouse got the two different wireless devices confused, and was initially trying to install the wrong drivers
Its worth repeating though that while this WG111v2_3_4_0 driver may work for some people, Netgear do not claim it as a Win7 driver, and nor do they suggest that the WG111v2 is compatible with Win7
Given the low cost of these devices you may well be better off buying new than trying to persevere with one of these
Scouse722

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of repeating myself, let me stress, I do not have a Netgear device.

The drive which did the job for my friends computer is a WH111v2_3_4_0, which I obtained from the Netgear Australian site and it works fine.
demdike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WH111 ???
they don't make a device with that name

in which case could you please provide a link to that file so others can find it?
Scouse722

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Netgear driver for Win7, either 32 or 62bit is actually WG 111v2_3_4_0.

Obtainable from the Netgear site.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: