Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 7 - Fake or not?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sl23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Windows 7 - Fake or not? Reply with quote

I have had my mum's PC for around a year now. I don't use it much to be honest just as a media player in the bedroom!!

Thing is, she lived in Portugal for 3 years til she died last year and the PC was setup for her by a Portuguese friend. I don't know how to tell if the version of Windows is genuine or not.

It's only basic system for media and internet use really. It has Windows Ultimate 64bit, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, not sure on the processor, but probably not important I shouldn't think?

I have managed to recover the Windows Key, but I don't know if it's genuine or not. Does it matter as I'm not connecting to internet? I know it's probably a legal issue though, but I do eventually plan on getting a legal hard copy of this same OS to upgrade my Vista laptop.

Thanks

Scott
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

download and run this diagnostic tool from Microsoft
it will tell you if the copy of windows is genuine
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

does the machine have a Microsoft Windows certificate of authenticity stuck to it? if it does not, then the copy of windows is not genuine - even if it passes the diagnostic check

see https://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/category.aspx?cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&displaylang=en
sl23

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that diagnostic tool. Thanks.

The PC was a custom build judging by the case, which I umm... don't have anymore! I transferred the contents into a smaller case, then ditched the original, Embarassed!! I didn't think about the Microsoft Sticker Laughing

Oh, does the MGADiag Tool affect the install should it be found illegal? I don't want to lose anything on it as I currently haven't the space to make a backup.

Thanks again Wink
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no - that tool doesn't change anything
Its the "windows genuine advantage" tool which does that

I'll make a couple of comments
1) If you've lost the key, then, by Micrsofts definition the installation is bootleg
2) very few machines have "genuine" copies of 64-bit Ultimate Windows, whether it be Vista or Win7. Most have a bootlegged key of some kind, usually a pirated volume licence key -for which updates will be blocked
3) the spec of your machine suggests its an old Windows XP system which has had a later upgrade to Vista or Win7. With 1GB Ram and an 8GB hard drive its seriously underpowered to run either XP or Win7
sl23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. When you say lost the key, do you mean the sticker?
2. I thought almost all new Win 7 machines were now using 64 bit versions? But then that's OEM I suppose and not self installed. The PC has downloaded around 30 updates ready to install but I haven't in case it stops the PC functioning, not ready to try that just yet!
3. I don't actually think it's an old XP system as the components look brand new. I think the low spec is more due to cost than age! Not sure if that was a typo error you made but the HDD is 80GB not 8GB Laughing
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) yes - the key is on the sticker
2) OEM ones yes. If yours is self-installed, then who knows? However the fact remains that few Win 7 "ultimate" installations are legit
Your worries about the update triggering WGA or activation problems may well be valid
3) 8GB was my typo - sorry
sl23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is my mum used the PC for internet access via LAN router. Windows updates are enabled by the looks of it, meaning if it's not legit it wouldn't have lasted long and she'd have had to go back to her portuguese pal for help to sort it by reinstalling, yes? See, that I can't believe as where she lived they aren't like that. I mean they don't screw friends over for a few quid! Not like the western so-called civilised society! I just thought though, I haven't any idea who this friend is! It's possible he built PC's for a living? But then I can't see why he'd install win 7 Ultimate? I'll try and find out more from some of my mum's friends in Portugal.

Perhaps I should stop asking questions and go try that tool you pointed me to eh!!! I'm just curious though as surely it'd be detected as not genuine?

Thanks for your help again Jon
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the tool on my laptop just to get a feel for how it worked, it said Genuine.

I then tried the tool on my Mum's PC, where I got Genuine on my laptop, the PC gave a '0' I imagine this means it's not genuine?
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably means that an activation crack has been used to try and circumvent the checking software
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh s**t!!! Confused Rolling Eyes

Thanks for helping me clear that up
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: