Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Crash & Computer restarts auto

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
2odiscoo9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Crash & Computer restarts auto Reply with quote

Hi!

i was looking into windows 7 & i had the basic system requirments but was'nt sure about some things so i went on to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx

& i d/l'd & installed the "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor". as soon as i ran it after install, my proccessing went into overtime & eventually my computer crashed & i had to force restart.

now when i turn on my computer, i get as far as the screen which asks:

Run in safe mode
Run in safe mode (with networking)
Run in safe mode (with command prompt)

Last known good configuration (last settings that worked)

start windows normally

regardless of what option i choose, my comp restarts automatically after this screen!!!

very frustrating when i have work to do & neither microsoft or advent (my manufacturer) will help me

i understand that i may need to go into the setup menu or something but i do not want to cause any more damage...

help!?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the menu do you get anything before it restarts? Such as the XP loading screen?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
2odiscoo9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes i get the xp loading screen with the moving bar under the logo bt after that it just restarts

ive been told i may need to go into my comps BIOS but i do not have a clue how to do that! lol
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anything in the BIOS will resolve this issue. The PC is booting, just Windows isn't loading. This looks like an issue with Windows, and the fact that all you have done is load on software, suggests this also. I think we will need to see if we can do a system restore or maybe even reload Windows. Can you confirm you have an XP disc?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
2odiscoo9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have an XP disc unfortunatly, i have it pre installed when i bought my pc 3 years ago

ive been thinkin about re-booting my PC but i REALLY dont want to lose all of my files as i am a music producer & all of my projects & things are on the hard disc.

i don't even have a external drive to transfer files if possible

i would be very greatful for any help & if i can get this issue resolved i will gladly dedicate my next track to you! (thats if you like dance/electronica!!!)
Markb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if one of the key windows files has become corrupt. This could be an indication of imminent disk failure, important to back up your files regularly. Normally even pre installed machines will come supplied with a recovery disk. As long as you have a licence sticker on the machine though, you could borrow a copy of XP (Has to be the same edition as yours) from someone. You really need to boot up from the XP cd and try to repair the installation. It looks for all system files and if some have become lost or corrupt it replaces them. Before that though, I would recommed getting hold of a copy of the "Ultimate Boot CD" which is a collection of free diagnostic and other useful utilities. You need to run a check of the hard drive and run a check disk utility to detect any bad sectors.
2odiscoo9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool ive had a look at the ultimate boot cd but i think i can get a copy of the cd i need tonight but if not i will invest in that!!

thanks!!!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing a manual system restore.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: