Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk
 
Google
 
Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 98 SE Thumb drives

 
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Author Message
Skibum4106



Joined: 30 Jan 2010
Posts: 5
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Windows 98 SE Thumb drives Reply with quote

I have a controller for GPS and lime spreading controllers. It came with one 64 KB thumb drive. I can not use any other thunb drive and they want like $65.00 for another 64 kb thumb drive.

I have found generic thumb drives that I could download online. This device has no cd drive or floppy drive and I am not supposed to have anything installed in the thumb drives while I am installing thumb drive drivers.

I have a thumb drive air card for my INTERNET so I can't get online with that cause It won't work with other thumb drives. Does anyone have an idea how I can install generic drivers onto this device? It does have serial ports .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoftStag



Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 2049
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I fully understand the question here, I think you may be slightly confused.

A Thumb Drive is a USB portable storage device for storing data on. Their storage capacity is usually measured in Gigabytes, and the smallest I have heard of is 8 Megabytes - 128 times the size of the 64 kilobytes you say yours is.

The thumb drive air card for your internet, will be a wireless dongle for connecting to the internet wirelessly in some way. These devices do look much like a thumb drive, but have a totally different function.

I would guess that the device you need, is some sort of USB dongle that is specific to the purpose you require, so you will need that and not any old device that looks similar.
_________________
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Skibum4106



Joined: 30 Jan 2010
Posts: 5
Location: USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
I'm not sure I fully understand the question here, I think you may be slightly confused.

A Thumb Drive is a USB portable storage device for storing data on. Their storage capacity is usually measured in Gigabytes, and the smallest I have heard of is 8 Megabytes - 128 times the size of the 64 kilobytes you say yours is.

The thumb drive air card for your internet, will be a wireless dongle for connecting to the internet wirelessly in some way. These devices do look much like a thumb drive, but have a totally different function.

I would guess that the device you need, is some sort of USB dongle that is specific to the purpose you require, so you will need that and not any old device that looks similar.


I have never even heard of the Word Dongle. I have a USB Port Air Card but it will never work in my Windows 98 SE controller because it has no drivers for it on Windows 98.
I have some USB Thumb Drives 1 GB also but the windows 98 SE device will not work with it nor recognize it.

I did find an older thumb drive that is supposed to work with windows 98 SE if I download the drivers for it. It is a Scan Disk part # SDCZ2.

Again I have several thumb drives that will not work in this device because Windows 98 Se was not really set up for USB.

The thumb drive that came with my computer does work and I have found out that it is 512 KB storage. I could buy another 512 KB thumb drive storage device from TOP CON for $65.00

You must be really young because my first computer had no USB ports at all. It had a 2.2 GB hard drive 32MG Ram and a 166 HZ Processor. I paid $3,000.00 for it with a printer and 17" monitor in lou of the standard 15" monitor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skibum4106



Joined: 30 Jan 2010
Posts: 5
Location: USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skibum4106 wrote:
SoftStag wrote:
I'm not sure I fully understand the question here, I think you may be slightly confused.

A Thumb Drive is a USB portable storage device for storing data on. Their storage capacity is usually measured in Gigabytes, and the smallest I have heard of is 8 Megabytes - 128 times the size of the 64 kilobytes you say yours is.

The thumb drive air card for your internet, will be a wireless dongle for connecting to the internet wirelessly in some way. These devices do look much like a thumb drive, but have a totally different function.

I would guess that the device you need, is some sort of USB dongle that is specific to the purpose you require, so you will need that and not any old device that looks similar.


I have never even heard of the Word Dongle. I have a USB Port Air Card but it will never work in my Windows 98 SE controller because it has no drivers for it on Windows 98.
I have some USB Thumb Drives 1 GB also but the windows 98 SE device will not work with it nor recognize it.

I did find an older thumb drive that is supposed to work with windows 98 SE if I download the drivers for it. It is a Scan Disk part # SDCZ2.

Again I have several thumb drives that will not work in this device because Windows 98 Se was not really set up for USB.

The thumb drive that came with my computer does work and I have found out that it is 512 KB storage. I could buy another 512 KB thumb drive storage device from TOP CON for $65.00

You must be really young because my first computer had no USB ports at all. It had a 2.2 GB hard drive 32MG Ram and a 166 HZ Processor. I paid $3,000.00 for it with a pri
nter and 17" monitor in lou of the standard 15" monitor.



I can only add 1 thing to what others here have said. If you are running Win98, then chances are that your machine has an older USB port, whereas your 1GB Thumb drive is probably USB2, which is not compatible.
And you need a USB driver for that thumb drive, not an MP3 player. Different hardware. Go to the vendor site for the latest driver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skibum4106



Joined: 30 Jan 2010
Posts: 5
Location: USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skibum4106 wrote:
Skibum4106 wrote:
SoftStag wrote:
I'm not sure I fully understand the question here, I think you may be slightly confused.

A Thumb Drive is a USB portable storage device for storing data on. Their storage capacity is usually measured in Gigabytes, and the smallest I have heard of is 8 Megabytes - 128 times the size of the 64 kilobytes you say yours is.

The thumb drive air card for your internet, will be a wireless dongle for connecting to the internet wirelessly in some way. These devices do look much like a thumb drive, but have a totally different function.

I would guess that the device you need, is some sort of USB dongle that is specific to the purpose you require, so you will need that and not any old device that looks similar.


I have never even heard of the Word Dongle. I have a USB Port Air Card but it will never work in my Windows 98 SE controller because it has no drivers for it on Windows 98.
I have some USB Thumb Drives 1 GB also but the windows 98 SE device will not work with it nor recognize it.

I did find an older thumb drive that is supposed to work with windows 98 SE if I download the drivers for it. It is a Scan Disk part # SDCZ2.

Again I have several thumb drives that will not work in this device because Windows 98 Se was not really set up for USB.

The thumb drive that came with my computer does work and I have found out that it is 512 KB storage. I could buy another 512 KB thumb drive storage device from TOP CON for $65.00

You must be really young because my first computer had no USB ports at all. It had a 2.2 GB hard drive 32MG Ram and a 166 HZ Processor. I paid $3,000.00 for it with a pri
nter and 17" monitor in lou of the standard 15" monitor.



I can only add 1 thing to what others here have said. If you are running Win98, then chances are that your machine has an older USB port, whereas your 1GB Thumb drive is probably USB2, which is not compatible.
And you need a USB driver for that thumb drive, not an MP3 player. Different hardware. Go to the vendor site for the latest driver.

i bought a 256mb thumb drive for school. it works everywhere except on my pc. i have windows 98 installed. if you can explain please do

Windows 98 does not support USB drives without additional drivers. If none were provided with the drive when you purchased the unit then unless provided us with the make / model we can not help you.
Last edited by michaelk; 09-09-2006 at 10:33 PM..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoftStag



Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 2049
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you install the Windows 98 Generic USB Mass Storage Drivers then most thumb drives will work in Windows 98.

I'm not that young, Windows 3.1 was my first OS, and Gigabyte hard drives were the things of dreams! lol

According to Wikipedia, the first commercially available flash drives were 8MB and I can't say I've ever seen one of a smaller size.
_________________
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dunnalee



Joined: 02 Feb 2010
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem with the same needs. My Win 98 laptop will not accept an online download driver.

My old Kingston Data Traveler 512mb came with a driver on a cd now lost; a techie removed the installed driver as 'bloatware', now data is trapped. He wants to take apart and cannibalize the machine [toshiba satellite @ 1999] to retrieve the data - ridiculous!

I need a cd or even a floppy [gasp] to install the driver; generic may work. I also have some Sandiscs Win 98 won't see. Anyone got one or know where can get?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skibum4106



Joined: 30 Jan 2010
Posts: 5
Location: USA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunnalee wrote:
I have a similar problem with the same needs. My Win 98 laptop will not accept an online download driver.

My old Kingston Data Traveler 512mb came with a driver on a cd now lost; a techie removed the installed driver as 'bloatware', now data is trapped. He wants to take apart and cannibalize the machine [toshiba satellite @ 1999] to retrieve the data - ridiculous!

I need a cd or even a floppy [gasp] to install the driver; generic may work. I also have some Sandiscs Win 98 won't see. Anyone got one or know where can get?


I was thinking the other guy said 8 GB on MB My thumb drive is like 512 MB.
I tried to down load generic drivers and it did not work.

The other guy mentioned using a floppy drive to install the drivers. My problem is even my floppy uses USB. It does not have a CD drive either. I'm not even sure how they installs the program maybe through the usb port.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steve



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 184
Location: Bangalore, India

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunnalee, Skibum4106 - the generic drivers should work if you install them. Have you followed the instructions here? You need to download the file to your desktop and run it.

You say it is not working, it would help to know exactly what you mean. Does it not do anything when you run the downloaded file? (it should start an installation wizard). Does it install, but you get no drive in My Computer? Do you get any problem devices showing in Device Manager?
_________________
My Photo Gallery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

2005 - 2017 All Rights Reserved www.technical-assistance.co.uk
Terms and Conditions