Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 98FE, USB drivers, and installation problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
hchaudio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Windows 98FE, USB drivers, and installation problem Reply with quote

My old PC had Win98FE (version 4.10.1998). I downloaded the Unofficial Windows 98 Service Pack and nusb320-ENG-98FE.exe
Ran the service pack installation. I got messages saying that these 2 files could not be found: 'Inetcomm.dll' and 'wab32.dll', but other than that the service pack installation seemed to go fine, and control panel now identifies Windows as version 4.10.2222.
Rebooted, and tried to install the nusb320 .exe file from a burned CD. The installation wouldn't complete because it wanted to install to the default location of ./UW98FE (notice that there is no drive letter or directory location).
That there might be a problem resulting from trying to install from a CD, so I copied the file to my desktop & tried again. This time the installation seemed to go okay. Rebooted, and tried a USB drive. No go--'No driver found' message.
So I looked around, and find that the installation for the nusb320 has been installed to a folder on my desktop. I'm pretty sure that I need to point the installation towards some other location, but where?

Thanks for any help (and sorry for the stupidity)
Kent Elliott
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have Windows 98FE, so you should be installing nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe from here.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
hchaudio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
You have Windows 98FE, so you should be installing nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe from here.

Yes, I downloaded the Win98SE upgrade for Win98FE from that page, and nusb320-ENG-98FE.exe .
"upgrade" went okay. On trying to install nusb320-ENG-98FE.exe from my CD drive (copied onto a CD from a different computer, since my Win98 PC is currently not connected to the internet), the default install location is in the wrong format (see above.
So I copied nusb320-ENG-98FE.exe to my desktop, and tried to do the installation from there. Now it installs to a folder ON my desktop (C:\Desktop\UW98FE), and won't run from that location.
The install program gives the choice of directing the install to a different location, but I don't know where? Perhaps C:\UWE98E, or C:\Drivers\etc, or C:\Windows.....
I don't know where the installation folder should be directed.
Thanks,
Kent
hchaudio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: more system info Reply with quote

I did a little poking around. Did a search for several of the files in the C:\Desktop folder, and found that they have also been added to C:\Windows\Options\Cab\NUSB, so perhaps the install went as designed, and the Desktop folder is just a leftover of the installation process?
Still, when I insert a flash drive, I get a Found New Hardware popup identifying the presence of the flash drive, and then a Find New Driver Wizard popup. I've cancelled the process at this point. Tried 2 different small USB drives (64MB & 128MB), same results.
Do I need to point the Find New Driver Wizard somewhere to find this? The system has been rebooted several times since installation.
The only pre-existing USB device I can find any info on is a Palm Treo PDA (I didn't uninstall this program), and no prioir USB 2.0 contoller.
Add/Remove Programs now hs entries for "Remove USB 2.0 Stack" and "Unofficial Win98 Service Pack 2.30"-- I think these are both new, but I didn't look here before trying the install.
I've located a Microsoft Win98SE upgrade disk. Should I try uninstalling the unofficial upgrade (or installing over it), and then try to install the Win98SE universal USB driver?

Thanks,
Kent
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't get a folder on the hard drive when you run the install. It sounds like you have uncompressed the file. It could be the download was corrupted. When you run the file it should start an installation process - follow this through. Then when you plug in a flash drive, it should automatically be detected.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Ben Brown

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Technical-Assistance.co.uk, May 10, 2009 \MyDocuments\t-ahelp.doc
I am hoping you can help with my difficulty installing your USB driver for Windows 98FE. Months ago, I had installed a driver for a Transcend JetFlash memory stick, and that worked well. This week, I followed your instructions. I used Device Manager to delete everything relating to USB including all 6 drivers for the PCI card I had put inside.
I installed the Wndows update "FESP230EN-R.EXE," but I only selected 5 of 12 components. I did NOT load Adaptec ASPI update 4.60.102, Tweak IU 1.33, Command prompt here, Windows 2000 Color scheme, New animated boot logo, Wintop 0.95, or Internet Print Services 1.0. Were any of these necessary for the USB driver?
I transfered your "nusb320-Eng-98FE.exp" to my "recent downloads" folder and double clicked it . The wizard ran the the download for a minute or two. I rebooted when it said to do so. Windows98 automatically reinstalled all of the same stuff into Device Manager that I had deleted.
My JetFlash memory stick still works, but the computer will not recognize my new Sakar CD-35 memory card reader, or a Cruzer memory stick. A new sub-folder has appeared under "Recent Downloads" called "Uw98fe" and it has 45 objects in it. That seems like a bad location for an important driver. What is the proper location for it?
I think you can improve the instructions for your "Windows 98FE USB Mass Storage Device Drivers" by:
1] Telling us which components of the "Windows98 Service Pack" are necessary.
2] Be more specific in the second line of your instructions. Tell us more than "to your desktop." Into which folder should we put the "nusb320-Eng-98FE.exp "?
3] Tell us where you want "Uw98fe" to appear so we can move it if necessary.
Thank You! Ben Brown

Last edited by Ben Brown on Mon May 18, 2009 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The options you have selected for installing the service pack should be fine, it just requires the default installation.

The Uw98fe folder is a temporary folder that is sometimes created when installing the service pack, this can be safely deleted.

With the devices that don't work, you probably tried to get them to work before trying to install these drivers so Windows recognises them and uses non working drivers because that is how they were previously installed. With these devices connected, you probably get some Unknown Devices or problem devices in Device Manager - you must delete these from Device Manager, then unplug the devices and reconnect them - this should get Windows to search for a driver and use the generic drivers you installed from this site.
Weaser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like hchaudio, I downloaded the Unofficial Windows 98 Service Pack and nusb320-ENG-98FE.exe. The service pack seemed to install fine, but the nusb320-eng-98fe.exe immediately gives me the message "./UW98FE folder not accessible." What does this mean?
Weaser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: flash drive still not recognized Reply with quote

OK, I moved the downloaded file from a CD to the desktop, and then the UW98FE folder was set up and filled with a number of files. I figured the fix was going to work, but I still can't see the flash drive under "My Computer." How do I get the flash drive recognized?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: flash drive still not recognized Reply with quote

Weaser wrote:
OK, I moved the downloaded file from a CD to the desktop, and then the UW98FE folder was set up and filled with a number of files. I figured the fix was going to work, but I still can't see the flash drive under "My Computer." How do I get the flash drive recognized?

Did it go through the installation wizard, or just create the folder? If it just created the folder, try deleting the folder, then making the nusb file NOT read only before running it.

If the installation went through and you are still not getting the drive in My Computer, then check Device Manager with the USB drive connected. If it shows as Unknown Device, delete this, then remove and reconnect the drive. If it shows as a USB drive, then it could be that it is formatted as NTFS which can't be read in Windows 98.
Weaser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried deleting the UW98FE folder and making the nbus not "read only" but nothing changed. It did not send me through the "Add Hardware Wizard" but I tried that anyway. It didn't recognize any new hardware. When I went through Device Manager, removing and replacing the flash drive was accompanied by the disappearance and then reappearance of "ACPI Battery." It seems to think the drive is a battery? What does that mean?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not referring to the Add New Hardware wizard, but the installation wizard started by running the nusb file. If it just extracts to a folder, then there is something wrong, and I would suggest trying to download the file again. If it goes through the installation wizard, then the drivers should be installed and if they are not working we need to look at that.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: