Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Emulators

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
wyvernlad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Windows Emulators Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 PC with Vista Home Premium as the OS.

I have a load of old games that were designed to run on Windows 95 and 98. I still want to play them but they don't like being played on Vista. Some just don't run others run badly with graphical errors.

I've heard that there are Windows emulators I can download onto my PC that would enable me to play these games.

Is this true? Are they good news or bad? What are the pros and cons of using them? Is there any way I can get Vista to run these games?

Your help much appreciated, these are very good turn based strategy games and I don't want to get rid of them.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run another version of Windows as a virtual machine using VMWare, however this would require installing Windows 98 or whatever on your computer as well - you would need a legal copy of it to do this.

Windows Vista does however have a Compatibility Mode built in, this is designed to allow you to run programs designed for earlier versions of Windows that don't run well as standard in Vista. This doesn't allow 100% of programs to work correctly, but most will. In order to use this, install the program/game you want to use, then create a shortcut to it. Right click on the shortcut and click on Properties. Now go to the Compatibility tab at the top, put a tick in Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select the OS you want it to emulate. Click OK to close the window, and now when you run that shortcut it will run in compatibility mode for the OS you selected.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
wyvernlad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I followed your instructions to the letter, and initially all was looking good.

It installed and ran the opening titles and let me select a scenario.

However, when I clicked on play, it kept on showing "wf.exe has stopped working, Windows is searching for a solution to the problem"

Any ideas or thoughts?

The game will run on Windows 95 or 98, so I've tried both settings on the compatability screen on the shortcut, the error message is the same for both.

Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are that this game just will not work in Vista. Your best bet would be to install VMWare, then install 95/98 in that are run 95/98 as a virtual machine in Vista. VMWare will cost you, there is a free alternative in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, but this will only run in Vista Ultimate, Enterprise and Business editions). Another option is to dual boot your system with 95/98. It all depends how much effort you really want to go to in order to get a 10 year old game to work!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
wyvernlad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I may pay for VMware and load an old copy of Win 95.

Do you have a link for VMWare?

Cheers
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://www.vmware.com/
Mr. Green
SIDVICIOUS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: RE: WINDOWS EMULATORS Reply with quote

when my pc was working i was running vista 64bit. i downloaded virtual pc 2007 from microsoft and installed win xp and win 98 and it ran all my old programes.
Markb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are free versions of VMware only the high end enterprise stuff is paid for.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: