Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows installer problem!!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Davey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Windows installer problem!! Reply with quote

I cannot get Installer re-installed. I uninstalled because of an original message of "1607- Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime",when I tried installing a game.
Now basically I cant get past the install because a line in my registry is "access denied" and it can't be backed up during the install process,so it doesn't finish the install. I tried changing the permission of that registry entry - "HKCR\CLSID\{000C101D-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}-DllVersion" , but it won't let me save when I change permission on the DllVersion part of it.

So the registry cant be backed up,so I cant install Windows Installer 3.1(for XP).

Any help at all is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.
Markb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look if you can modify the permissions to the registry entry. If you use regedit and navigate to the required key. If you right click on the key, you should be able to see the permissions. Have a look at other keys to see the what the permissions would be.
Davey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your reply, but as I mentioned in my post,it wont let me save the permission change because its access denied.
I think I have to find a way to get rid of the access denied state,if its possible at all.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you logged on with Administrator privileges?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Davey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am.
Update : I went ahead and deleted the whole key(which DllVersion was a sub of,and it got rid of it. So I managed to install Windows Installer 3.1,but it obviously didn't install properly. There is no folder such as C:\Windows\Installer, anywhere for that matter. It shows in the Add/Remove list in Control Panel as Windows Installer,but it's not working.
When I try to install a program or game, I still get the "...installer could not be accessed...not installed properly...blah blah" message. When I try to install SP3, I get a message that says "...file c:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe is in use by another program...". That stops the installing of SP3. I can't delete that file,or rename it. I understand it's a Microsoft file,but I can't find out what program is using it so I can close it.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else had the same problem installing SP3. Try following instructions in that link. After SP3 is installed see what the situation is with Windows Installer.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: