Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

windows live

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
bob_marley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: windows live Reply with quote

hi please can anybody help me out im banging my head on the brick wall here

some nice person has hacked my windows live acc and i have been through all there links to re set the password as they have changed my pasword but i can not for the life of me reset the password can anybody please shed any light on this for me

or is it a case that i have to make a new acc

any help would be very useful
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across a similar case a couple of years ago, it turned out to be a problem with the keyboard!

It is unlikely that your account has been hacked, unless you are using an unsecure password, or someone else knows your password. If you can't supply the correct info to the Hotmail password reset tool, then unfortunately there is nothing you can do.

Are you 100% sure you are using the correct username and password combination? Check that Caps Lock, and Num Lock on laptops are turned off. On laptops usually the right hand side of the keyboard acts as a number pad when Num Lock is enabled. Best thing to do is open Notepad and type in there, make sure you see what you think you are typing.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

besides which the account recovery procedure for Windows Live is quite good and works as long as you answer the questions it asks
It can take a couple of days to get a hijacked account back, but it usually works

One point: when you get control again, make sure you change the password, but ALSO CHANGE THE RESET QUESTIONS. Too often reset / recovery questions are too easily guessed, with things like "first school" or "mothers maiden name". These are too easy to find. The way to do it is to make the answers unrelated to the question: e.g "mothers maiden name" = answer "Triumph Spitfire" or "first school" = answer "yellow"
Anything unrelated as long as you can remember it - and no-one else can guess it (or find it through Facebook / Friends reunited etc)
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might also be worth mentioning that if your email password has been compromised, and you are one of the many people who use the same password for your email as for other things, then you should change the passwords on those other things immediately. You should also consider using a stronger password of random uppercase and lowercase letters with numbers and special charachters such as !@#$ where possible. This will make you account more secure than using words that can be guessed or attacked by brute force.

Mr. Green
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: