Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Nostalgia

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> General Chat
Markb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Windows Nostalgia Reply with quote

Is it me, or is anyone else amazed about the amount of Windows 98 questions still popping up. I look back at Win 98 with the same fondness that I look back at Windows 3.1 or a hovis commercial.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 98 is still used by many people, especially in developing countries. This is because there are a lot of old PCs out there and it is cheaper to run 98 over newer OSes. 98 is also incredibly fast. I dual booted it with a newish Vista machine, and it beats Vista hands down!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Desperado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Windows 98 on my original PC. I have 2000 on my current Desktop and XP on my laptop.

I have just purchased a second hand, very small, very lightweight laptop and it has 98se on it. Only problem I am having is that it doesn't suport plug and play! As I am trying to get it to recognise and accept an external DVD/CDRW I am having 'issues' with it!!!

But, it is good!
Markb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one surprised me. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7707016.stm Microsoft were still selling licenses for windows 3.x up until 1st November this year.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Markb, I thought Windows 3.x was long dead an buried. I didn't realise M$ were still selling licenses for it up until so recently.

I think this explains why in-flight entertainment systems are always flaky! lol
Quote:
One of its more glamorous uses as an embedded operating system is to power the in-flight entertainment systems on some Virgin and Qantas long-haul jets.

"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: