Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows vista
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Windows vista Reply with quote

I'm considering the purchase of a laptop within the next three months. I still could not decide if I should opt for Windows Vista. I heard Vista SP1 will be released soon to improve things, Would it be a good decision to choose Vista then?

I'm going for an entry level machine and have limited my choice to Dell and Acer. Which one in your opinion would be a better deal?

How is the Vista Home premium better than the basic edition?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows XP will be phased out, so go for the latest OS. Vista has had numerous hot fixes that make it much better than it was on day 1. Just make sure when you buy a laptop it has a minimum of 1Gb RAM as Vista is memory hungry.

There are more features in Home Premium over Home Basic, and for a laptop you are better with Home Premium as it has better features for laptops. You can compare the differences here.

I would recommend an Acer over a Dell as you will get better specification for the same money. Acers also come with an international warranty and are generally well built. That said the Dell will probably be slightly lighter weight, but it depends how important this is to you.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always had the impression that Dell is the cheapest.
Don't all Dells come standard with international warranty as well?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they do come with an international warranty. Compare both a Dell and Acer of the same spec. In the UK the Acer is normally cheaper.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've settled for the Acer with vista Basic, the OS needs some getting used to.
Why do I have to click so many dialog boxes when deleting a file, say on a flash drive, and how do I turn it off?
first the "delete" box, then the "destination folder access denied', the "user account control" box and it takes longer than Xp to delete a small file.

And whenever I tried to open a notepad on a flash drive and saving it, a dialog box informs that "cannot create txt file - make sure the path and filename are correct"

Also, How do I revert the "search" in the start menu to the one similar to XP? It's very inconvenient when say,I need the list of file s created on a particular date.

is it neceassary to have a third party firewall with vista?
if so, should I try Comodo Firewall Pro which is free or stick with zonealarm?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The access denied errors etc - do they only relate to external drives? This may be because the files had a user set for them and they require that user to perform actions such as delete?

With regard to the Search option, if you click the icon next to Advanced search it should turn it off.

Third party firewalls are not necessary with XP or Vista, however they do give you more control than the inbuilt ones. Personally I don't bother.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have problems locating files through the vista search. I have installed some programs on a particular day and could not find the list of system files created on that day. Please help.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Advanced Search on, use the following settings:
Arrow Location - Local hard drives
Arrow Date - Any
Arrow Size - Any
Arrow Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files (might be slow) - Check
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when accessing system properties, Vista shows a "user account control" dialog box with the following message: Windows needs your permission to continue. If you started this action, continue.
Is is necessary to have this turned on all the time, how shall I turn it off?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a feature of Windows Vista. It is there to protect certain functions that could cause damage to your PC. This is there to prevent anyone or a program with unauthorised access (eg. a hacker) from changing things without your permission.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, How may I save my settings and avoid clicking them all the time?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: User Account Control Reply with quote

You can't.

These popups are part of Vista's User Account Control (UAC). Normally when you run programs, they are run as a user, not an Administrator. This provides a level of security that prevents access to change critical components. If you have a trojan running for example, and it tried to modify critical system files, it should be running as a User so will not be able to do it, and a popup will ask you if you want to allow it. UAC basically asks for your permission for every time Administrator access is required.

You can disable UAC, but in doing so you are reducing the security of your system. I know you are concerned about malware and this is a help to protect against malware doing damage. I would strongly recommend you do not disable this feature. If you want to, then go in to Control Panel, then User Accounts and click the option to Turn User Account Control on or off.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: